Xanax makes me EXTREMELY sleepy!!

Toliman

Well hi, can you help me please? I am having now a legit prescription from my doc for Xanax. I did made my homework so I do know that Xanax is supposed to be a pretty strong drug in relieving anxiety and stress etc., however the problem is that if I am using one single pill of only .25 mg I am feeling like I have been drugged up with a lot of sleeping pills or something in this regard. That’s because I am unable to function if I take it. it makes me extremely sleepy and kind of feeling like tired because everything I want to do is only to lay down and to sleep like for a lifetime. I really want to get rid of this feeling because now I know that if I take one pill that’s it – I’m out. and yeah, caffeine doesn’t help, I’ve been drinking like 3 cups of coffee before using the pill and for no help. I have been given valium before I have had a surgery one time but those meds were nothing like this one because they were making me feel extremely awesome while taking them! purely fantastic! And when I have been given Xanax that’s why I have been thinking that they were supposed to do either and that’s what they are going to do for me. it seems that I was wrong. Everything I am feeling when using Xanax is extremely sleepiness.

Can you help me please? am I a weirdo or what? I haven’t discussed with anybody else who is taking them but I would really like to and I would really like if somebody out here could tell me how does it work for you. and yeah, I know that you would tell me: tell this to your doc, I have told him already but he only told me that I need to stop using them. and what should I do afterwards? Please, can you suggest me anything? Thanks!

Grapply

Oh wow.. I don’t know. Maybe your body simply can’t be strong enough to deal with this drug. I mean, there are some drugs that are simply anti chemically made to some certain people. i don’t know how to explain it… your chemicals can’t cope with this drug. anyway, you’ve said that valium has been working purely fantastic for you. when you told your doc that Xanax doesn’t work well but valium was so good for you, why you haven’t told him about valium? Tell him to prescribe you valium if it’s so good. but if there are some reasons why you can’t take it either or your doc is against valium then you could go for some other benzo, I guess, like for example Ativan or klonopin or some others?? I don’t know… just a thought… I wish you best of luck!

Angwin

So… well… let me think about that… you could break that dosage (.25 mg) of Xanax into .125 mgs (in half, it need to have a score) and this might help with your over sleepiness, at least you should pay attention if it does or no. personally I have never heard of anybody having such an strong effect of sleepiness when taking such a low dosage and putting them out. plus, this might happen for a week or maximum two until your body is getting used to it but then, after that time you should be feeling fine. about something being wrong with the pills… well, if you ask me I doubt that there is something like that, hey should be good pills in case they were scripted to you in the US. Could you describe them for us? The best idea that came into my mind is that maybe there is something that has to do with how your own system is metabolizing that medication.

Anyway, in case the method does not work then I personally would go back to that doctor and I would start from there working with him in order to find out which benzo is working better and best for you. To be honest I am pretty surprised that the doc did not gave you Valium before he scripted you the Xanax if he was aware of how well valium has worked for you. I think this would be much more appropriate and for several reasons. The first one, obviously, that it has worked for you. the second reason is that even if you have never tried valium in the past he still should be starting to give you Valium as it is a benzo that it is having a much lower abuse rate than Xanax and another reason why he should start you off with Valium is that Xanax is having much more terrible withdrawals symptoms. I’m not trying to say here that Valium does not have withdrawals at all, however Xanax is possibly the worst benzo that your doc could put you on. I really cannot understand this… haven’t you told your doc how awesome and fantastic valium has made you feel when taking it?? I assume you did?? Don’t you?

I just hope that there would be other people that would have some other and maybe even better suggestions for you than I had. I think this entire situation is very strange, but I do know that there are a lot of people who don’t really like Xanax. Either way, I wish you good luck and hope it will end well for you.

NoOome

Wow. I have also never heard of anyone having such a strong effect from an 0.25 mg of Xanax. Surely nothing is wrong with the pills since they are so potent and working so well. I’m pretty sure that it is your body who cannot tolerate them. and I guess that you only need to do as your doc tells you to do, just stop using them anymore. also, you could try some other less arrogant doc that would help you. he might tell you to stop using them but he also need to tell you which pill you should take instead. Just find another doc and tell him that you would rather prefer Valium over Xanax and explain that simply a baby dose of Xanax is putting you to sleep for a decade and you are not able to take it since you can’t normally function with it and you could also explain that Valium, in the past, has provided you much better effects and that it has worked very well.

And by the way, that fantastic and awesome feeling that you have had are most likely not going to last longer than a couple of days if you are going to be put on valium once again. that’s because your brain is going to adjust to it pretty quickly so there won’t be no more awesome and fantastic feelings, however, most likely, that is going to take care of your anxiety and would keep it under control and as much as I can understand this is your ultimate goal so, in the end, you would simply going to feel just fine. I think that that’s what you are pursuing, or am I wrong? Hope you’re going to find the solution. Good luck.

Toliman

So well, I need to add here that my body is extremely sensitive to any medications of any type (I guess, as you have already noticed) and I’m saying that because it is sensitive even to ibuprofen this is why, pretty usually I am fine with the lowest of the doses while taking any meds. I want to ask you, should I just right out tell my doc something like: look, your Xanax pills doesn’t work well for me, I want valium?!

And yeah, by the way, I should let you know that I am also using 10 mg of lexapro (it is working pretty well in helping me to sleep and keep the anxiety severity at a low level somehow). One time I have tried the 20 mg of it but I’ve been having an feeling that soon I would die because of that nausea.

I’ve been reading posts and reviews about lots of drugs from a lot of people. I’ve been reading about Lexapro, Xanax, valium and lots and lots of other drugs and reading people’s experiences it makes me feel like I’m just a little naïve weakling guy who’s running around and screaming harmless out there. that’s because people are using such high doses that if I’m going to use any near that I think that I would literally die...

debra

Everyone is different indeed. Xanax is everything that I am using and it does help me very much and it does not make me feel sleepy or tired at all. it is either because that’s how am I or I don’t know but I am sure that I am having a very high tolerance to it. I’ve heard that Xanax is able to make you feel sleepy, but it doesn’t for me as when I am waking up in the morning the first thing that I do is to use 2 mgs of it and I’m fine and after that, the rest of the day it usually depends how I take more, but I’ve noticed that usually it is about 5 or 6 mgs (total dose of Xanax per day). rarely it could be less and rarely it could be more.

Either way, I think that most likely you need to go back to the Valium because indeed this is a less potent drug and because indeed Xanax is much more addictive and is having much worse withdrawals. Do whatever it takes to take valium once again. talk with your current doc or find yourself a new one but as long as you know that Xanax does not work but valium does then go for it. best of luck to you.

DeRose

Yeah,  I do know what are you talking about because Xanax is also making me feel very asleep too! this is the reason why I am taking one pill at night before going to sleep. I have never actually used it during the day time but I’m afraid doing it because I know that I’m going to fall asleep so maybe I will try it when I will know that I don’t have to do anything that day. about valium, this one is also making me feel pretty sleepy but I’ve noticed that if I’m very agitated it doesn’t. I have also tried Librium but this one is knocking me out for some hours so it is dangerous for me to take it. that’s how it is all done, I’m one of those people who are very sensitive to benzos, you also seem to be. some are sensitive, some are not. people are different.

However, what I really do like about Xanax is that there are absolutely no residual sleepiness the next day after using it. with other benzos with a longer half life this is not exactly the case and they are making you feel groggy the next day.

I guess that you need to try a very low dosage, however, in case you are not able to keep awake even so then maybe benzos are generally not for you and you should try something else? I don’t know. Ask your doc for the least potent benzo and give it the lowest dosage. Maybe this would help.

HardyHard

Well, when I have been younger I have used Xanax and a 0.5 mg of it would have made me feel extremely good. I wasn’t having any feelings of sleepiness or something negative. Ever since that time I put the Xanax at the top of my most helpful and good drugs, however, even so, I have not used it that much of it. in fact, I’ve used very and very little. I didn’t wanted to take too much drugs.

So then, many years later, without having a good tolerance to it, the exact same dosage is making me feel extremely sleepy, tired and generally drugged out, pretty much the same as you have described up there Toli Man. In a few words: this time I cannot find anything good about it. my sources, by most part, are IOPs and I have tried all the brands out there thinking that maybe it is the “pill’s fault”. I have tried all from the cheap to high. It really seems that the brand somehow makes a difference, however, after a lot of attempts of using Xanax without anything else than negative effects (or at least by most part) I’ve understood that I can’t get those good effects that I have once been getting when I have been younger. I don’t know, there are a lot of possible reasons as to why my system has changed, however, now, I have been forced to put it towards to the least favorite of my benzo list, unfortunately. Currently Xanax is making me feel way too tired than I actually should be and on the verge of knocking out that it is out of the question, that’s unless it is night and I am trying to sleep, however, even so, then later the next day I am getting the hangover I really don’t like.

Even so, I am still continuing to give it tries due to the fact that it has a good reputation and because of the positive experience that I have had in the past some years ago. and even now, it does seem to me to have at least some value at least once in a while if I am taking the lowest dosage. However, I do realize that I should forget about it and that I should accept the fact that this benzo is not for me and I should either find another one or forget about benzos. Someone else can relate? About doing a conscious mistake.

Damme

So well… for me Xanax is great and I’m sorry that it does not work the same for others. I have discussed with my pdoctor and I have told him that even though Xanax is a great drug for my public panic attacks where I need to get myself into the nearest bathroom, to do some breathing exercises, to wash my face after I am finishing crying in the stall and so on – in case I am taking it when I am firstly walking in that bathroom with a sip of water and then doing all of the above then I can usually continue doing my shopping trip compared with the fact that I immediately need to go home.

However, that Klonopin has lasted longer for me and even though it is taking longer for its effects to kick in, I’ve been able to wean myself off from 3 mg per day of it in the past and that’s without having to take some valium in order to taper it down or to get some other prescription for this matter. it is very simple since I was just keeping going down even when I have been using only .25 every 3 days and after that I simply forgot about them and that’s it. as easy as it sounds.

My doc has me starting out at only 1.5 per day max, no rescue, however my PCP is just about to start giving me Lyrica prescription. I think that it is best that we are having some room to go up to a dose that I could come off from gently and also the Lyrica drug could potentiate the clonazepam I think.

Either way, I need to say that personally, I really do prefer Valium of them all and that’s due to the fact that it is feeling the least chemical of all the other benzos that I have had and used. Taking it feels like a natural calm or something in this regard. That is why, in case I need a rescue benzo after the Lyrics is gonna be established then I would go and ask if my doc is going to write me like a 5 to 10 pill prescription of this Valium, 10s so I could break them in half dosage and let us see how frequently I would need refills. And by the way, the effectiveness is kickin’ in almost as fast as when I am taking Xanax. Well, I don’t know whether this would help or won’t help you in anyway, but I just wanted to share my experience hoping that it would make a clearer view upon benzos and their effects. I wish you sincere good luck in finding your perfect benzo.