Alprostadil Brand And Generic Names
What is Alprostadil?
Alprostadil medication is used to treat erectile dysfunctions in men.
Alprostadil represents prostaglandin (PGE-1). While administrating it eases certain muscles in the penis and widens blood vessels, thus increasing the blood flow into the penis causing erection. Once the effect of Alprostadil wears off, it causes the blood flow to return to its normal, thus removing erectile state of the penis.
Do NOT use Alprostadil in case any of the below conditions apply to you:
- You are allergic to any compound in Alprostadil
- You are struggling with blood related issues problems such as leukemia
- You have bone marrow problems such as multiple myeloma
- Other illnesses, which could augment the chances of having a prolonged, painful erection otherwise, called Priapism.
- You have a penile implant, deformed penis, or any other penile issues such as Peyronie disease or/and fibrosis of the penis
It is highly recommended to contact you health care provider in case any of the above mentioned conditions apply to you prior to starting to take Alprostadil.
Important information before using Alprostadil
Always contact your health care provider in case any of the below mentioned medical conditions apply to you prior to administrating Alprostadil:
- You are using any prescription or nonprescription medications, herbal medicine, or dietary or food supplements
- You have a history with allergic reactions to any drugs or/and foods
- You suffer of inflammation or infection of the penis, kidney problems, urinary problems such as inflammation or narrowing of the urethra
- You have a history of prolonged or painful erections
- You are taking any other medicine in order to treat erectile disorders
- You have a blood-borne illness like HIV or hepatitis.
Drug interactions with Alprostadil
Among medications that may easily interact with Alprostadil you may find the following:
- Anticoagulants such as Warfarin
It is highly recommended to contact you health care provider in order to find detailed information about possible drug interactions with Alprostadil, benefits and possible risks of using this medication prior to starting to take it.
How to use Alprostadil?
You must follow the prescription issued by your health care provider.
- Alprostadil should be injected into the penis to cause an erection. Consult your health care provider in order to learn how to prepare and administer Alprostadil properly. Do not hesitate to contact your healing doctor in case you have any questions regarding the proper usage of this medication.
- Under no conditions you should be taking this medicine in case it contains any inclusions, particles, the solution is cloudy or discolored, or in case the cartridge is damaged.
- Note that Alprostadil must be used within the next 24 hours after being mixed
- Each vial or cartridge containing the medication is for a single use only. Do not reuse the medication left in the vial.
- It may normally take up to 5 to 20 minutes after injection for the effects of Alprostadil medication to occur and it may last for up to 30 to 60 minutes in total.
- It is not recommended to administrate more than one dose of the Alprostadil medication within a 24 hours timeframe or more than 3 doses per week, unless otherwise specified by your healing doctor.
- In case you forget to take Alprostadil and you still intend to engage into a sexual activity, you should use it as soon as you recall to or as accordingly to the instructions given by your healthcare provider.
Important safety information:
- Note that Alprostadil medication may lead to dizziness. You should not drink alcohol if using this medication as the dizziness may worsen. You must administer Alprostadil with extra cautions. Avoid driving or handling machinery if dizziness persists.
- Under no conditions you should administer extra dose of Alprostadil medication rather than recommended by your health care provider. Do not change your dose without consulting your doctor.
- You must seek medical assistance immediately in case you experience a painful erection or have an erection that lasts for more than 4 hours (priapism). If not treated immediately it may lead to impotence.
- Alprostadil medication does not protect the patients from the sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) such as HIV or blood-borne diseases like hepatitis B. Make sure to protect yourself during a sexual activity by using barrier methods of birth control such as condoms if you have an STD or blood-borne disease.
- Extra cautions should be taken while administrating Alprostadil medication in the elderly, as they may appear more sensitive and responsive to its effects.
Possible side effects caused by Alprostadil
Common side effects caused by Alprostadil medication may be:
- Moderate bleeding at the injection site
- Mild to moderate genital pain
- Severe side effects caused by Alprostadil medication may occur:
- Severe allergic reactions including:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in the chest area
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or other parts of the face
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Bleeding from the tip of the penis
- Bleeding while urinating
- Unconditional change in the amount of urine
- Chest related pain
- Curving of the erect penis
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- New or worsening genital pain
- Painful or prolonged erection
- Redness, lumps, swelling, numbness, tenderness, , strange sensations, discoloration of the penis or inflammation
- Severe or continuous bleeding or bruising of the injected part
- Severe or continuous pain, swelling, or redness of the part injected
- Swelling of the leg veins
- White, colorless spots or discharge from the penis
In case an overdose of Alprostadil is suspected you must contact your health care provider to seek immediate medical assistance. The symptoms of an overdose of this medication are:
- Lasting pain in the penis
- Painful erection
- Prolonged erection (i.e. erection that lasts more than 4 hours)
How to store Alprostadil?
Store Alprostadil medication at a temperature of 77 degrees F or 25 degrees C. Under no condition you should refrigerate or freeze this medication. Keep it away from heat, moisture and direct light. Do not store Alprostadil in the bathroom. Make sure to keep it out of reach of children and away from pets.