Carvedilol Brand And Generic Names
What is Carvedilol?
Carvedilol is a medication meant to treat heart failure and hypertension, also known as high blood pressure. The heart failure condition appears in the moment when the human heart cannot pump the necessary blood to all the parts of the body. Besides these, the Carvedilol drug is used in the situation when the human heart cannot pump the blood as a consequence of a suffered heart attack.
This medication is part of a group known as beta-blockers. These are the ones affecting and influencing the circulation of the blood and the heart pumping. Basically, this drug works by slowing your heart rate in order to increase and improve your blood circulation and also to minimize the blood pressure. It does so by relaxing the blood vessels, such as veins and arteries.
The Carvedilol medication can be used for other purposes and treatments as well. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Before taking Carvedilol
In case you need this medication to be prescribed to you, it is advisable to inform your doctor regarding any of the following:
- If you are allergic to this drug or other related and not related medication;
- In case you may have bronchitis, asthma, emphysema;
- If you have one of the serious heart conditions, such as sick sinus syndrome, heart block, slow heart rate, etc.
- In the event you have a severe liver disease;
- If you know you have diabetes or you may be predisposed to it;
- If you have low blood pressure;
- In case you may feel chest pain, or the so-called angina;
- In case you have kidney disease;
- If you know you may have a thyroid disorder;
- In the event you have a tumor of the adrenal gland, also known by the name pheochromocytoma;
- If you may have some blood circulation problems;
- In case you are pregnant or you have serious intentions of becoming pregnant in a short while; and also if you are a breastfeeding mother;
- In the event you take other medications at the moment or you have some other prescriptions, etc.
How should Carvedilol be taken and stored?
You need to take this medication exactly how your doctor prescribed and told you. Under no circumstances you can change the doses, increase or lower it. The only one who can modify your medication is your doctor or physician. If you aren’t sure how you should take Carvedilol, just read the prescription label and follow the instructions provided there.
Carvedilol comes in two forms: as a tablet and also as a capsule. The latter is an extended-release one, or known as long-acting as well. Both should be taken by mouth (orally). You need to take this medication every day at the same hour, this way you will benefit from the best results.
In case of the tablet, it must be taken twice per day, and preferable with food. Regarding the extended-release capsules, they usually are recommended to be taken just once a day, with food, in the early morning. Remember, you must take the Carvedilol capsule whole, in no case divide it. Don’t chew the capsules only swallow it right away.
This medication is intended to treat your symptoms; it is not a drug which will cure you. Due to this, you need to take Carvedilol even when you start to feel better. In case you think you should stop your treatment, talk to your doctor first, only he or she can stop or prolong your medication. If you will stop without notice, you may have some serious heart issues, such as chest pain or irregular heartbeat, and also you it may provoke you a heart attack.
Concerning the storage of the Carvedilol medication, you need to keep it away from the children, from heat, moisture and light. The most appropriate temperature for storing it is the room temperature.
What should I do if I missed a dose?
In case it happened for you to forget about one dose you should have taken, it is recommendable to go and take it as soon as you remember about it. However, this works only in the event you still have much time until the next scheduled dose. If it is almost time for you to take the next dose, it will be better to just skip the missed one and take only the necessary one. In case you think it will be good to take two doses simultaneous, don’t do it, because you may have an overdose.
What should I do in case of an overdose?
If you just have had an overdose, you must call the emergency room immediately. In case your overdose isn’t a very serious one, it will be enough for you to call your doctor. Some of the symptoms of an overdose include:
- A slow heartbeat;
- Difficulty breathing;
- Seizures and convulsions;
- A loss of consciousness;
- Bluish-colored fingernails;
- Unusual weakness, etc.
Side effects of Carvedilol
The Carvedilol medication can cause both serious and less serious side effects. Regardless, it is advisable to get in touch with your doctor as soon as you start feeling them. If you feel really bad and you think you may experience some of the serious side effects, you could also call the emergency room. Some of the Carvedilol side effects may include the following:
- An uneven and slow heartbeat;
- Chest pain, wheezing, even trouble breathing;
- Chest tightness and dry cough;
- Extreme thirst;
- Unusual weakness and sleepy mood;
- Frequent urination;
- A powerful sensation of hunger;
- A blurred vision and some vision changes;
- Severe headache;
- Vomiting and nausea;
- Joint pain;
- Dry eyes;
- Burning and numbness, along with some tingling in your legs and in your arms;
- Weight gain;
- Unusual and severe swelling, especially of your hands, arms, feet and legs;
- Itching and hives;
- A loss of bladder control and problems when concentrating;
- A severe skin reaction, which consists of sore throat, fever, skin pain, etc., and as a consequences the blistering and peeling appear;
- Impotence (only in case of men) and difficulty when having an orgasm.