Rosuvastatin Brand And Generic Names
What is Rosuvastatin?
The Rosuvastatin medicine is used to treat patients who have or who are predisposed to various heart diseases. This medication should not be taken alone; it should be used together with diet, some exercises and weight-loss. It will reduce heart attack risk, stroke and also it should minimize the chance for patients to suffer a heart surgery. It works for people who suffer from coronary heart disease, diabetes and others.
Additionally, it is utilized in order to decrease the bad cholesterol and the triglycerides amount, and also the amount of other fatty substances in the blood, at the same time it increases the levels of good cholesterol. Adults and children who are at least 10 years old can take the drug.
The Rosuvastatin drug belongs to a group of medications known as HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, or also called statins. It can be used also to treat other conditions and symptoms besides the above mentioned. If you need more information, you can talk to your doctor or to your pharmacist.
Before taking RosuvastatinIn case you need a prescription for the Rosuvastatin drug, you need to tell your doctor about any of the below mentioned prior to taking it:
- If you have diabetes;
- In case you may have a history of liver disease and also a history of kidney disease;
- If you have a thyroid disorder;
- In case you have Asian origins. You need to tell your doctor about this, since the Asian people absorb this medication at a lot more higher rate than anyone else;
- If you use to drink more than two alcoholic beverages every day;
- In case you are allergic to this medication or to any other medication;
- If you have any other prescription at the moment or if you are taking some other drugs;
- In case you are pregnant. This drug may cause some serious birth defects for your baby. Therefore, tell your doctor if you are pregnant, intend to become pregnant in a short while or if you are a breastfeeding mother;
- In case you may have seizures or low blood pressure.
How should Rosuvastatin be taken and stored?You must take and use Rosuvastatin exactly as your physician prescribed it. Under no circumstances can you modify the medicine doses – you cannot lower or increase it. If you are not sure how to take it, consult your doctor or read the information on the prescription label.
Rosuvastatin is a tablet that you should take orally (by mouth). You can choose to take it with food or without it, but it is recommendable to take it with a glass of water. Most often, it needs to be taken only once per day and at the approximately same hour every day during the treatment.
You will start with a small dose of this medication, and probably your doctor will increase it every two or four weeks. In no case stop taking the medication. You may start to feel better, but you need to take Rosuvastatin until your doctor will end your treatment.
In addition, you will need to test your blood quite often, in order to see the results this drug gets and if it causes some serious side effects to your health. Don’t forget to follow your program and skip neither the exercises nor the medication.
It is best to keep Rosuvastatin in the same container it came, away from children, light, heat and moisture, and at the usual room temperature.
What should I do if I missed a dose?In case it happened so you forget to take the necessary dose, don’t panic, and just take the dose right away, the moment you remembered about it. Nonetheless, you should know that if there is already time for you to take the next dose, you must skip the missed one and take only one single dose, the necessary one. Don’t take two doses simultaneously in order to fulfill the forgotten one, because it is pretty sure you will suffer an overdose.
What should I do in case of an overdose?
In case you think you may have an overdose, get in touch with your doctor at once or call the emergency room. Besides the usual symptoms of an overdose, it is advisable to stop using Rosuvastatin for a while if you may experience any of the below mentioned:
- Electrolyte imbalance; for instance, low or, on the contrary, high levels of potassium in the blood;
- Unusual and uncontrolled seizures;
- Severe illness or an infection;
- Life-threatening low blood pressure;
- Medical emergency, such as a surgery for example;
- Dehydration, etc.
Side effects of Rosuvastatin
The Rosuvastatin medication can cause side effects. Contact your doctor right away if you feel any of the following:
- Joint pain, in your ankles, knees, etc.
- Insomnia or other difficulties when sleeping, along with nightmares;
- Confusion and depression;
- Lack of energy;
- Problems with memory loss;
- Weakness and tenderness;
- Muscle pain;
- Severe and prolonged fever;
- Urine colored in dark;
- Yellow eyes and skin;
- Unusual pain in your upper right part of your abdomen;
- Extreme and unusual bruising and bleeding;
- Loss of appetite;
- Itching and hives;
- Various signs of infection, such as chills or sore throat;
- Symptoms similar to flu;
- Difficulty when swallowing and also when breathing;
- Tingling and numbness in your toes and in your fingers;
- Weight gain or, on the contrary, weight loss;
- Unusual and increased hunger and thirst;
- Dry mouth and dry skin;
- Blurred vision;
- Clay-colored stools;
Rosuvastatin and other medicationsThere are some medicines which taken together with Rosuvastatin may harm your health and cause some serious muscle problems. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- HIV medications, for instance ritonavir, saquinavir, atazanavir, ritonavir, etc.;
- Drugs that may contain niacin;
- Fenofibric, gemfibrozil and fenofibrate.