19 months walking on knees

JohnPi

I think my baby girl have a problem and that’s why I wanted to make this post. I’m her father and I think that maybe there are so many things that I don’t know about babies but actually I think that a 19 moths old baby should already walk but she doesn’t do it so much and I am now concerned. She is a very active baby and during these 19 months she developed herself in many perspectives. She started to speak at the 11 months and we were very happy, she do love to play but we observed that she feels comfortable just when she is on her knees. I don’t want to say that she don’t want to walk at all because when we go out and she holds my hand she walks and she feel very happy, but when she tried to do it by her own it seems like there is something uncomfortable there, every time she tried to stand up by herself she felt down like she have some balance lack. She tries, she falls down and she start to cry. I feel so bad for her, we have some friends that have baby that are quite the same age, like 14 months, 12 months, 15 months, and I see like she wants to play with them and she wants to walk but she can’t, she only looks at those other babies and I feel like she is asking herself why she can’t do the same thing as others are doing.

What do you think? Is this normal or we have to do something? Initially I thought that there’s nothing wrong and that I shouldn’t be worried but as time passes and I see that she cannot walk, I’m getting more and more concerned. Does it seems to be normal to you?

McBrien

First of all I would like to encourage you a little bit and to say that I think that you’re an amazing dad. Seriously, I’m very excited about your post and about every word that you said, I really can feel that you care about your daughter. There are so many things that I would like to say, but I’ll try to summarize a little bit. I would like to explain better but I can’t, so you have to be worried but at the same time you don’t have to. The first thing to do is to talk with a pediatrician, there are different situation that could be linked with this. The simplest thing that maybe can be supposed to be your problem is that she only need some massage and exercises, or maybe that she feels more comfortable when she feel herself protected by your hand, it can be both a physical or a psychological thing, you have to find out which one of them is. There are a lot of kids that have this problem, they are simple scary, but this is not a problem the doctor will explain how to get rid of this. The real thing when you really need to worry is if your daughter will need an earlier intervention. They do some tests to check the development of your baby and after this I call this period ‘ tension’ period because sometime you have to wait a lot till you are going to get your results and the exercised that are used in this case are a little more painful. I don’t know what is the norm term for a kid to start walking, my son started to walk at 9 months and I remember very well how worried I was about this because I thought that it was already too early for him. I think that your daughter it’s okay, but in order to feel better and to forget about this problem I guess that it will be better just to talk with a doctor that can explain better what this is and if there’s something that you should be worried about or no. anyway, I wish you good luck and a lot of health to you and your daughter.

kellymackeda

no worries, I have the same thing, and I totally don’t feel worried about my baby, she is 15 months old and she doesn’t walk, however she is smart, she is healthy and she feels okay, but every time she walks, she’s doing it on her knees or she is trying to hold onto something in order to feel sure that she will walk without problems. Babies start to walk when they feel sure and when they feel that this is the time to start. You don’t have to press her, you said that she is a smart girl, then you only have to believe and to be happy about this time and that she is passing over this beautiful period. After some time you are going to observe that she will start to do the first 3 steps and after some days another steps. We are parents and I understand very well that we expect that she will start to walk like in movies suddenly and doing at least 10 steps but all the babies are different and we have to love them for this! :)

Scioneir

Relaaax people, my son started to walk when he was 2 years old, and we never thought that there is something wrong with him, we knew that everything would be fine. We know about the average time that you can find in books, and that maybe your doctor can say to you but actually I believe that all the babies are different and the last user is right, don’t press her and the only thing that you have to do is to enjooyyyyy this time, they are so beautiful and they are so funny :D  I really love to watch my son walking on his knees and exploring the entire apartment he can say some interesting words and I really love to hear them. It’s amazing and I think that if she is healthy and your doctor said that you have to be relaxed than the only thing to do is to watching your kid like watch your tv! Don’t worry and appreciate these moments, they will grow up and you are going to miss it.

goLLu

I don’t understand why do you feel worried about this? The most important thing in the entire story that you told as is that she walks on her feet when you help her. These means that she don’t have any problems with her feet and you said that she is smiling all the time she is walking holing your hand. Even if there’s a psychological factor then it will pass away sooner or later no? she won’t walk on her knees when she would be 18, no?  So be sure that she is alights, she still didn’t decided is she is ready to let your hand to do this by her own but soon this will happen, believe me. No worries, even when she is crying because she felt down, she cries because it’s like a little stress for her and when she fells down it’s just because she was scared because of the fall.
Be the nice dad that you are and continue to love her and support her, this is the only thing that she needs now. Good luck :)