ativan dependence?

Candepoccus

hi. i am experiencing panic attacks and anxienty so my doctor prescripted me pills ativan. i am taking 1,5 mg of it everyday, half a pill every 5-6 hours, that means 3 times a day. few days ago i didn't took two pills and i had panic attack and anxiety really bad. i didn't took the pill for about 15-17 hours and i didn't expect something like that. this is my first time i missed my pills in these almost 2 months i take them. my doctor gave me pills only for two months so i guess i can expect a similar situation when i will run out of pills? i guess the severe anxienty will come right back? is this a normal thing? my doctor is out of the city now so i can't get an appointment now. oh yes, one more thing. do i need to change a dosage or something like that if im planning to drink alcohol? im not planning getting drunk, but is going to be safe if i take few drinks? thanks

JJJohn

Hello, I'm taking Ativan pills too and I've done some research about it, after that I've talked to my doctor and I might help you. I'm also taking Ativan for two months and I've never missed a pill, there were cases when I took them more often than needed. I assume that your theorem is right about running out of pills, you could find it difficult deal without your pills, so I recommend you to discuss this with your doctor. Personally, I don't take them every day as my doctor said that these pills could be addictive, that means that you could become easily dependent on. Lately, I thought I should increase the dose because the pills stopped having those results I use to have but my doctor refused to increase it because I could get dependent on it. I guess you should discuss everything with him. And if you're planning drinking, as for any other medications, alcohol is increasing side effects of the pill you're taking. In your case, if you take 1.5 pill a day, I assume that a drink or maximum two will be alright and no more. Anyway, better if none will be taken. I would lower the risk of side effects. Get an appointment with your doctor, it will be the best option. Good luck.

Alexander7

It is true that taking Ativan can be addictive and it can be dangerous if taken for too long time and mixed with alcohol. I was taking Ativan and if I drank only one drink I was quite severe side effects and felt bad for more than 10 hours, but I know others who had some drinks and nothing happened, at least they were doing much better than me. I advise you to be careful if you plan to drink, everyone is different and react differently from one another. If I had it then it doesn't mean you will have it too, but as you can understand it can be so. Someone can be OK, someone can feel really bad after drinks. It's very good that you asked about it and you aren't ignorant as many people out there. You should use caution and make sure that you have someone near you who knows your problem and that you may have some side effects if you drink, he or she should help you in such case at least by driving you home or at hospital immediately. However, now I'm sure that meds with alcohol isn't the best idea LOL try to avoid it as you can. Good luck man

McBrien

Hey people, I'm also on Ativan for few years and finally I decided to have a drink my friends (I have drank alcohol for many many years). From my own experience I need to tell you that I'm not ever going to mix Ativan with alcohol!!! This is why I recommend you to do the same: never and NEVER mix these two things together! After my accident I have searched on net about this and I found out that there are others who had something similar and I mean loss of memory and sleepwalking. Here is what happened to me: I have had only three little glasses of wine (I knew that I'm not Ativan so I decided to take it easy on alcohol). What makes me angry is that I never read on the pill bottle any alcohol warning. So, after I drank the wine I took my Ativan and I laid down to relax and that's all I remember. However I was sleepwalking and this isn't how my night ended. I cannot recall anything now (maybe only few short moments here and there) but I got up and drove my car! I don't have any idea why I have done it! Now I'm very thankful to police that they have stopped me even though I have been charged with impaired driving. This isn't the best thing what could happen but there could be something worse like I could kill someone else! or myself. Now I cannot remember how I drove and if I've done something else besides driving. I haven't got my full consciousness until the next morning! I won't drink again while taking Ativan and I recommend you to do the same! I really don't want to kill somebody!

Staggsy

I'm shocked that you people are even asking this question about alcohol! I STRONGLY recommend all of you who are taking Ativan NOT to drink while on it! This is extremely dangerous for your life, don't risk!! Here is a story (a true story), why you should not do it: I have a friend who takes Ativan (that day I didn't know about that) and was drinking all night at a birthday party. Later he told us that he's not feeling that well and he will get for a sleep. We all thought that it is due to the alcohol, maybe he got drunk or IDK. However later when we called him he wasn't waking up. It was all fun and games until we checked what's going on and saw that he's NOT breathing anymore! We were shocked, petrified, thought that he died! We called the ambulance right away and they took him to the hospital! If you don't want to listen to my advice then at least have a good friend near you who knows about your problem and to watch you. But I will tell you one more time: never ever drink alcohol if you're taking Ativan, it is very and very dangerous for your life!