Autoimmune pancreatitis diagnosed!

I_Love_My_Apple

Not so long ago I have found out that I have autoimmune pancreatitis. I know nothing about this but one thing that this is the cause why I have had pancreatitis for more than 10 years; at least this is what I have heard from my doctor and it does seem to be a reliable information. I would like to find out more about my condition and how to deal with it. I don’t want to be rude but I have a stupid doctor that doesn’t care about anything. I asked him about my situation and I asked him to tell me what to do, how to react and maybe to change my life style if I have to but he wasn’t able to explain anything. I hope that soon I’ll find someone that will be able to help at least a little bit, I am sure that anything you would tell me would be more than my doctor told me so you’re my last hope. Thank you very much and I will be waiting for your answers.

Mamme1973

Hello there, I’m so sorry about your situation and about how your doctor reacts. I know that there are a lot of my colleagues that doesn’t fulfill its function. I’m a doctor and I don’t think that you were rude, it’s okay I know very well what you feel and I feel sorry for you – I think that it is a normal reaction to be angry when you have a doctor that doesn’t want to help you. I’ll try to explain you something about your condition but firstly I would like to say that you don’t have to worry about nothing this is not a complicated thing, it requires some time and a different life style but believe me, I know for sure that everything will be okay. Autoimmune pancreatitis it’s a type of chronic pancreatitis that can be treated with corticosteroids. Don’t worry about this word there is a lot of information out there that you can find and read on the internet. I don’t know about your situation in particular but usually it’s manifested with a intense abdominal pain weight loss and sometimes nausea. If you ask yourself about the causes you have to know that this is because of the body immune system that attacks the body tissue. Usually I recommend all my patients to start with changing their diet plan and to start to take care more about the immune system. There are a lot of diseases that are linked with the immune system and if you don’t take an adequate care about your system you can receive a lot of complications. Now, that you just find it it’s okay, if you would start your treatment you would be able to avoid this complications, otherwise the complication will take place and will become even more difficult to treat your disease. What can happen? The autoimmune pancreatitis can cause a lot of variety of complications but I think that I’ll share with you the most frequent ones. Firstly there can happen a thing called pancreatic insufficiency. This is the most elevated form of autoimmune pancreatitis and start with different symptoms that you have never experienced before, such as diarrhea, metabolic bones disease and some organism deficiency such as vitamin or/and mineral deficiency. This happens because your pancreas is not able to produce some essential enzymes and your body starts to lose essential vital elements that our body needs in order to work in the better mode.

The second thing that can happen is known by everybody, it is called diabetes. I think that you maybe know that another function of our pancreas is to produce insulin, when the pancreas is damaged and is not treated in time it can cause such a thing and of course when this happen you start to need to use some oral medication or insulin in order to fulfill your needs. I don’t think that any of us what to have something like this, that’s why I extremely recommend you to start your treatment in time, you should do it as soon as it is possible in order to avoid the things that I described above and believe me, without a proper treatment they WILL start to appear. But secondly you have to remember that you have to stay calm and to avoid being worried, I don’t think that it will be okay to add some stress or worries to your situation, stress makes everything works and I haven’t heard about any beneficial effects of stress, yet, I’m a doctor. There is nothing so serious to be afraid of something or to be stressed. The only thing that I think that you have to do now Is to find another doctor, if this one is really a bad doctor that doesn’t care about your situation then I think that it will be better to find a good doctor that will be able to guide you and to support you during the recovery. Even if it would cost something, better spend some money now and treat it now, otherwise you will have to spend even more.

Hope that you will get well soon, and don’t forget to update us about your situation; if you have some other question I’m here to help you with everything I can.

kintman

Oh… I remember myself when I have had this. This was horrible and so hard to support, I remember that I couldn’t afford it, and the worst thing was the anal pain that so hard to support, besides this I have had nausea and I lost 20 pounds in only one month. It was always hard to me to lose weight that’s why losing 20 pounds in one month was something that made me understand that there certainly is something wrong with me.

Now I feel okay and I hope that I’ll never experience this again. I can tell you what I did for treating it and what changed in my life.

okay, I know that there are a lot of things that you can do or you can choose to do. I  remember that there is something like biliary stending – that is something like a tube that a doctor will insert in your bile duct, but don’t ask me what is this and how it helps I only know just this part of information. The second thing is using steroids- this is the thing that I did. I have used Prelone that was recommended by my doctor, I didn’t know what was that I knew just that this is something like steroids and that it should be effective in treating my condition. This treatment was really short but helped me very much. Immediately, after about only one week some symptoms passed away and I started to feel so good again. There is another thing called immunosuppressant and immunomodulators. I know that these things are used when the situation is getting a little bit worse and these things are able to reduce some serious symptoms that couldn’t be supported normally and that require some serious intervention. If you have some hard enzyme deficiency then I guess that your doctor will prescribe you something that will help your pancreas (such as Creon, Viokace and Pancreze) are some of the drugs that could be prescribed by your doctor. This is the most important thing that I know, and that I think that you have to know. Anyway I agree that you have to switch to another doctor that will be able to take care about you and that really would do something, having an ignorant doctor can kill you.

I_Love_My_Apple

thank both of you for your answers and recommendations. I was so confused before reading your posts but now I’m able to go ahead and to try to do something. I’m very glad that I have found here somebody that passed over the same disease and that now feels okay because it makes me feel so comfortable and sure that I’ll succeed and at the same time I think that I’m lucky because I also find a doctor here. I didn’t expected to be so lucky or to meet a doctor. Thank you for the information and for your time and secondly thank you for making me feel more relaxed and concentrated on my disease and on how to cure it.

I’ll try to update if there would be some new changes and hope that I’ll find the right cure for me.

P.s: Thank you for warning me about the complications that could happen, I didn’t know about the diabetes and I didn’t expect to hear something like this – it just feels scary. Anyway now I’ll take care about me and about my condition, have a nice day.

Mamme1973

I’m glad that we helped you, and thank you kintman for the other additional information, it’s very good that you are informed about this.
As for you, don’t forget to search another doctor because I think that this is the first thing that you have to do now, talk with a good expert and explain again all your story, all your symptoms and be sincere about the situation with your doctor. Explain as much and as better as you can everything. You will be fine.

I_Love_My_Apple

oh, yes I forgot to mention this. after I posted this, I suddenly realized that I have to switch to another doctor, and now that you told me that if I wouldn’t receive the right cure for my disease I’ll have more complications I started to feel even more worried in case I would still be under the supervision of current doctor. I know that this is the first thing that I’ll do the next week when I’ll go visit my hospital. I’ll try to ask some of my friends and relatives about some good doctors that can help and hope that I’ll find a really good one. thank you once again.