Bleeding on Depo Provera

HelloKitty

Hey everyone, I’m 19 years old and I would like to ask other women who already have some experience with birth control called: “Depo Provera”. I consulted my doctor about it and he agreed with this idea because I have insufficiency in iron and Depo Provera should stop my periods. So I got my first birth control shot a month ago on 8th February 2014 and the problem is that I started to bleed few days ago. Since it shouldn’t happen I’m really worried about it, I’m concerned if everything is ok with that or is a major side effect. I’m very upset because of this: I thought everything was going to be just fine. This is not my first time when I’m on a birth control pill and my periods were irregular. I’m scared maybe something is wrong with me? Is there someone else who have been on Depo Provera and have some experience with it? What should I do?

AmeliaLove

I cannot really help you since I am not a doctor nor an expert but I did used the Depo Provera so I will just share my story with you in hope that it will help somehow. At first sorry that it took me so much time to respond I've just seen your post. So when I had my shot I didn't bleed initially and after almost a week approximately when I should have had my period I got some bleedings for two weeks, well to be more specific that wasn't so much bleeding as just a little spotting. Maybe you will have a little longer or a little less than I had, who knows? Why I had it or why you have it I can't say, better go talk to a doctor, he knows best after all and maybe he will give you some answers. I am sure you will be just fine :) I'm now off it.

Andoult

So I was on depo provera and I bleed for weeks!! I took only one cycle of the shot because I lost appr 17 pounds. I also talked to other women when they took their shot and they also had bleedings. They said that they had spottings for the first half a year (6 months) and after that they had nothing. I assume that there is nothing to worry about because it is just your body which is getting used to this depo provera shot. I guess that at the end of your first year of using it won't have periods any more or maybe very and very light! This is not a 100% accurate information but I've read that depo provera shot can increase abdominal pain and cramping, also I guess that this is different for every women. Well, that's all I know about it, I wish you to get better and good luck.

Alexis696

i had the same reaction only it started 1 week after my first shot in the middle of february and it wore off in the end of april. i have been bleeding extremely hard that time, non stop and i was forced to change the pad every hour and a tampon in less than 40-45 minutes. it really stopped my normally active lifestyle, i couldn't work do anything for that matter. i remember that time and i'm frightened. i regret so much that i took this depo provera. personally i wouldn't recommend it, i will never take this shot ever again. during that time i had mornings in a puddle of blood, couldn't leave my house for more than few hours because i was very tired and i felt weak. i'm now anemic. when i told this my doctor she immediately put me on another birth control in order to stop that heavy, unstoppable bleeding. it stopped, however my periods (as expected) aren't regular but I really hope it is going to normalize. i don't know and i'm not sure whether that was something normal but for me that was a horrible time! i literally suffered those months! i don't recommend this depo provera shot as a birth control but i know that it can work differently from person to person so maybe it is just my body that had this reaction, however if you're going to take it then BE CAREFUL! let your doctor know about the feedback these people and i wrote here and tell him or her to take 100% care of what is going on to your body while you are on the shot.

mouldS9

Hey there everyone, you can stop using Depo Provera and you are recommended to do it if you have some problems because of it. I personally recommend everyone who is thinking to use Depo Provera to do some research before starting. You should know (as many women has given their feedback here) that Depo Provera is not a good option as a birth control because many women (about more than 50% of women who are using it) are going to bleed almost daily for as long as this product is in your body. You should also know that because of these bleedings Depo Provera is leeching the calcium from one's body thus reducing their bones density which obviously isn't something good for your body. Another thing is that this method of birth control should not be given to those who are suffering from headaches and migraines because it is only going to make it worse. There are cases when some women stop bleeding while using Depo Provera but they can experience increased abdominal pain and cramping. Everyone who thinks that Depo Provera is an alternate option for them they should do a research by themselves, get as much info as possible and then start using it. Even if one of your friend recommended it to you remember that each one of us are unique so you have some chances that it won't work as good as for your friend. Good luck and take care.