Can an HSG test change ovulation?

aliciad

I had a HSG test on day 9 after my period. Now, it's day 14 and I have not ovulated yet. I done an ovulation test on day 11,12,13 and 14, all were with negative results. I am very worried because usually I would have ovulated by now. Would the HSG test have disrupted my ovulation.
Please advise. Thanks.

Alyssa Harney

Hey, I didn't expect someone will ever have a question like this. The same thing is happening to me and I'm concerned too. I see that some time already passed since you have posted and I was really curious if you ovulate the 2nd month after your first HSG test, thereafter was it regular or you had some changes as well? Now I'm in my 2nd month and I hope I will ovulate now. I don't think that this is a simple coincidence, but I never heard something about HSG test changing ovulation. When I asked this the doctor who made it looked at me strange and said that nobody asked this before. Strange.

Rebecca

Well I think there is something more than a simple coincidence. I have done two HSG tests and both of them changed my period even though I'm very regular. I have done my first test about 6 months ago and I didn't have any surges that month. I was confused and I've had ultrasound to see what's going on but the doctors didn't see anything. I had my period after 15 or 16 days after that day I should have it. So the answer to your question "thereafter was it regular or you had some changes as well?" is that you should ovulate normally. I personally had my periods working as clock the next months. Well I had an HSG test this month and the same story. However now I'm in the 16th day after I should have my period and still nothing. When I said this to my doctor he replied that he never heard of something similar before so I understood that I have to find out by myself what is going on. As I see there are plenty of women who have their period changed after a HSG test. I don't know what is causing it but I think doctors should know about this delay. There must be a reason and a solution to this. I would love to know if EVERY woman is facing this after they are doing HSG test or we have something specific that is causing it? It's really strange. Well, as you, I hope that everything is going to be normal the second month. I really don't want to drink some pills because I'm afraid of their side effects. Best wishes everyone

MatthewsM

Hey everyone, some updates, someone else with a similar problem? I'm having a similar issue. I myself had an HSG test on day 7 of this month and it was normal. I normally surge on about day 15 or 16. Today is already the 18th day and I still having no surge, so I found all of these responses very interesting when I first read them! I have told today the fertility doctor about this, and he said that the HSG test should have no effect on your cycle and my period is probably late due to some other factors. But I see too much coincidence here. I would like to ask every previous poster if your ovulation did return to normal or you had some other issues as well? Sincerely I'm a little afraid now so any help is going to be great! I've been tracking my periods for over a year and this has never happened before now, surely it is not coincidence and it is not normal. This situation makes me feel very frustrating!

Bedeencion1980

I don’t know what are you talking about but I know something about HSG tests so I hope this information that I’m about to give you would help. So, the HSG is checking up if your fallopian tubes are open or not. It would also remove some minor blockages in your tubes if you have some of them. In case your infertility was due to a blocked tube then you have chances of becoming pregnant the same month you have had the HSG test. In case your HSG test was done before you got your ovulation then you can plan the IUI insemination the same month. However, I would suggest all of you to try to do it all by your own in case your partner does not have absolutely no SA troubles. Anyway, it depends only on you. The procedure itself is quite easy. It includes: a dye is going to be passed into the female’s tubes to check out the fills and the spills. During the whole procedure is used the XRAY in order to check the potency of your tubes so the doctor knows everything. Sometimes, the HSG test includes pain but it varies from person to person and it could be vary from doctor to doctor. I mean that if the doctor is doing something wrong then the patient is most likely to have pains. But there are cases when the person has pains regardless of how good the doctor is. Anyway, most women say that this is not a painful procedure whatsoever, but there are others who says that it was terrible painful. I’m not a doctor so I’ve never heard about the HSG test changing the ovulation, however, I wish you all to become pregnant as soon as you wish it. Greetings!