Can smoking aggravate my yeast infection?

luca26

My girlfriend and i were diagnosed with yeast infection, more exactly with candidiasis. We followed the prescribed treatment with antifungals and staff, had to avoid eating salty and spicy meals, couldn't even drink beer for a while. Everything was good, the red dots on my fella disappeared, the ugly smelling urine normalized...well, everything seemed to have worked out. We both had protected sex ever since, she's very strict about it lately. However, some of my yeast infection symptoms came back: itchiness and a few red dots, especially if i smoke more than usual. I'm not a heavy smoker, but i can smoke more on weekends when out with my friends. My girlfriend wants me to stop smoking, saying this is the cause of my problem getting back. Do you think smoking can cause my yeast infection? I don't really see any connection between the 2. I really hope my gf is wrong. Please advise, thanks in advance!

Kaya

Hey luca26, once again welcome to our forum! Hopefully you'll find answers to your question.

Unfortunately for you, i have to say your girlfriend is right. Even if it seemes there is no connection between yeast infection and tabacco, they are correlated. Lemme explain:

You have been infected with Candidiasis, even if you have followed the tratment and respected all the instructions provided by your doctor, you still have it in your cells, the fungus is present but inactive, kinda "sleeping". When you do things that impair your immune system, such as smoking during weekends, your organism doesn't have the "power" to keep the infection totally under control, and you start to feel at least some of the effects, in your case: itchiness and a few red dots on the penis. Things that weaken your immune system such as smoking, stress, taking antibiotics, processed food and sugar do NOT CAUSE yeast infection, they help the infection become active (if already in the body). 

So my friend, listen to what your girlfriend is telling you cause this time she's right!

Hope that will help :)

Stay healthy!