I am dyslexic?

Oliversus

Hi I’m a teenager and I started to have some strange feelings. I started to notice that I have some problems with spelling. I think that I’m dyslexic but I’m not totally sure about this. So I want to know your opinions. I started to notice that I can’t clearly spell every word that I say and the other thing is that I can’t read out loud. It’s like a tangle in my month that doesn’t let me speak clearly. I never noticed this before, so it’s a little bit strange I know. The fact is that I always thought that people are dyslexics since they are kids. I’m 17 years old so I can’t explain this phenomenon. I also notice that I have some problems with numbers. I can’t get more numbers with more than 2 digits in the right order. Another thing is that I replace numbers. There could be 123 but I see 132 so that’s strange. At the beginning I thought that I can have some vision problems but the fact is that I see clear and it doesn’t matter what distance is.  For me all the numbers are mixed up, and sometime the number that I see don’t correspond to the reality. I think that you can imagine that math has always been a challenge for me. I never knew that is right or wrong and all my classmates thought that I’m strange. My entire tests were something horrible. Thousand of stupid errors that my teacher never could explain. I feel myself frustrated every time because of these tests. It’s becoming to me a big problem and I don’t know how to deal with it.

I read somewhere that there are some ways to make it easier. I tried to look up in internet in order to find something but nothing useful. There were some exercises but honestly I think that they don’t help as much as people think. I’m looking for recommendations. I hope that there is somebody that knows more about this and can explain what to do. My mom said that I’m paranoiac and that actually I have nothing, but I feel that there is something wrong and that I have to do something with this. I explained to my mom that situations with my math tests and the thing that I can’t read loud but she explained that in her opinion I’m shy and I don’t know math. I don’t know what to say. I really hope that my mom it’s right but honestly there is no explanation to the fact that I replace numbers and that I do kind of stupid errors that even my math teacher don’t know how to explain. Please help me. I’m very worried about this thing. I’m scared that this problem could become worse and maybe after some years I’ll have problems with my speech.

Wasoness

hey boy I have had the same thing when I was young as you and I understand very well what you are talking about. First of all I would like to say that this could be linked with many other things, and I’m not so sure that this is dyslexia. When I have had this I was very young, now I’m 55 years old and I know more things than before, when I was young, at that time, people didn’t knew so many things about this, and my mother neither and she never did anything for this. Now, I feel okay and if I remember well it passed away when I was 18 or 19 years old, it passed by itself without any interventions. I think that this wasn’t dyslexia from what I can remember I was very shy when I was little and I used to confuse numbers and even different other characters. I think this was because of my inside situation and maybe it’s more psychological thing than pathological. I don’t want to say that your situation is the same but I think that before making a conclusion would be better to make some notes, try to analyze your entire situation, to see if you have for example some situation in which you can say that you start to change those numbers, for example if there are some certain people or a lot of people or somebody else. This could also be an explanation, when somebody is very excited about someone or for example is very shy some things like changing or to make some mistakes is a very common thing for a lot of people. Don’t be worried to ask to try and to analyze, if you are too shy to talk about this with your parents you can try to talk about this with your school psychologist and to ask him an advice. There other types of examples that can be linked with this, for example if you have ever been drastically scared from something when you was a little boy you can also develop such a thing, or there also can be linked with your brain, or if you have ever felt down and hit your head this also can be a reason. I think that you don’t have to worry about talking with your parents. Maybe they know more about your situation and maybe they know what could happen to you. I hope that soon you’ll find out what could it be and I hope that you’ll feel better soon. Greetings.

p.s. sorry for late response.

Oliversus

hello! Thank you for your answer, I thought that nobody will answer to me. I started to see some improvements during these months, that’s why I have never replied here again. After some weeks I wrote here my post I decided to talk with my mom, we visited a doctor and he told us that actually there is something else and that he’s sure that I’m not dyslexic. You are right in your perceptions; it’s something that happened when I was little. My psychologist told me, that maybe something happened to me. I tried to think about what could happen but I don’t know. I think that soon I’ll feel better, I see progression and it seem to be such a good step. I’m very happy that there is nothing serious and I’m happy that this is something that can be cured and that I’ll be a normal teenager as I was before.

During these months I have read a lot of things about dyslexia, and before I found out that I’m not dyslexic I was so scared and disappointed. The description of people that have this disease was very scary and I’m glad now that I don’t have to live with this forever. I’m nearly sure that a couple of months more and everything would be fine.

anyway, I wanted to say thank you one more time for trying to help me. your answer was really what I’ve done and helped me.

EDWARDY

oh boy I’m very happy for you, you’re a very lucky person. I have quite the same problem, and I know that I have dyslexia, my doctor explained me already everything I need to know. I mix up more words together and sometimes I switch the first letter of the world. I still can’t explain why this is happening to me and it is hard. When I talk I have the word in my head, it’s perfect without a switched letter and no mixed up with other words but when I want to tell this word something changes, like my tongue is not colligated with my brain and it doesn’t function as it should. I’m very happy that you don’t have this thing, and that you’ll be okay soon. I would like to be as lucky as you are but at least I would try to do my best to get rid of this.