I have a dislocated jaw.

Nike88

I have a dislocated jaw. It’s not a big deal and it doesn’t bother me so much for me to go to visit a doctor and that’s why I wrote it here.  I do not have it every time, it only occurs when I bite down or open my mouth really wide (for example when I yawn) and it’s hard for me to close my mouth – it feels like my teeth don’t align normally and it really hurts when I try closing it forcibly. It doesn’t last long but it feels very uncomfortable and even awkward if I’m in public when this appears. I don’t know what I can do about it so if someone out there have any ideas would be really good.

xander2009

I think that I've had that few times or maybe something similar to that. Anyway I don't felt it for some time already and I'm not sure whether it is going to appear again or no. I found your words familiar when you said that it feels like your teeth doesn’t align correctly and it hurts like hell if you try to close your mouth. I remember staying with my mouth wide open like a freak and being unable to close it :D It happened when I was grinding my teeth at night but I cannot say that for sure. I don't really think that you can do something to make it stop moreover I've once searched thru the internet about it (how to make it stop) and I never found something. I remember that when I had this I used to open it wider (or at least trying to do this) but I don't know if it helps or it's just me who had this urge. Maybe you should try to ask someone to watch you at night and see if you grind your teeth at night. Who knows? Anything is possible. Also when this occurred it didn't lasted long (only few seconds) so I never though going to a doctor too. Maybe someone is can help you finding an answer. However is there someone is who has this? I'm just curious if we I have the same as described up there and others people feedback could help me understand. Thanks :)

Geds1212

oh my, I see that someone understands me and I hope that we can find some answers. five days ago I simply yawned, it seems that it wasn't a really wide yawn and anything abnormal I didn't noticed but my jaw cracked and it did hurt like hell after that, some kind of what you have described "like my teeth didn’t align normally". the difference between us is that I found it really hard to eat or chew few days after that. I don't know how you don't have any problems with that because for me it is a real problem ! of course I couldn't wait for an answer on the internet, I went to a doc to check it out. he said that my jaw was very swollen and it had popped out and gone back in place. my biggest concern now is the pain which I still have it after a week and the doc said that it can be in that it could take up to 6 weeks. in addition of all of this I have great pain in my ear since that yawn. don't you have it too? I thought maybe you just didn't metion it? I'm saying this because it is a real problem for me. it is a feeling like my ear wants to pop out, a pain deep inside. now I'm afraid every time when I have to yawn because of this, I'm afraid I can get it again. someone with the same symptoms as I have?

MBernic

Hi people, I really don't want to scare anybody but once you have an injury or at least something went wrong with your jaw go straight to a doctor. I'm not myself a doctor nor do I have any degrees in medicines, but for me it really sounds that everyone here should go and visit a doctor about this!

The chances that your problems are going to disappear but themselves without any help are very and very tiny, mostly each time one has a problem with his or her jaw and is not treating it - well, these people end up not as good as they would want to end. I'm telling one more time that I don't want to scare anybody, I just want you to feel well, and that’s why I'm here. You should know that the jaw is one of the most complex joints in one’s body so you should do anything possible to avoid any kind of problem with it, and if it appeared then you should treat it as soon as possible. I have found on the internet some information about your problem, what you can do until you're going to visit the doctor: use heat and use ice, also i found out that “Ibuprophen” helps too as well as having a soft diet. It's only up to you how you're going to act, but I just want to help.

Good luck with that and be healthy!

Corim

These days I was hit on the left side of my face in a fight and now the right side of my jaw seems out of place. When it happened I felt and I still feel the same way all of you described: like my teeth didn't align correctly and I'm feeling very awkward, it feels like I'm walking like that with a half opened mouth. I wanna know what should I do now because it feels like there is a bubble in the right side of my face now and I can't get rid of it. It also hurts and feels uncomfortable if I open my mouth too wide. I can’t talk with my parents about this because it will bring even more problems. I just wanna know if this could be a dislocated jaw or something even more serious?