I want to ask about basal joint arthroplasty

JJoosshh

Hello everyone on this forum, I'm new here, please be kind :) Well I'm having some troubles with my thumb and I would like to ask something about basal joint arthroplasty because I'm thinking about having this surgery. Especially I would like to talk with those who already had it and passed thru this situation, however every non experience and only theoretical part is going to be appreciated. I mean that everything is welcome. So my biggest wonders are what is one's recovery time like and how is the pain after the surgery. Also some information about approximate prices is going to be great! I would like to know everything about how much time is going to take the surgery, what is the result, how much time is going to take full recovery or at least until the pains is going to disappear. I have read something about it on the internet but I'm far away from understanding it because I have no knowledge in medicine that is why I need some simple responses without sophisticated terminology for a guy like me. Thank you all in advance for the reponses and have a great day!

- Josh, 27 and generally healthy.

Goldie

Hey there Josh, did you had your basal joint arthroplasty? I accidentaly found your post and to be honest I was interested about what you're going to ask because I have had this surgery, I can tell you more that I have had this surgery on my both hands (you haven't mentioned this) and I'm very satisfied with the results, I really hope you're going to be at least as satisfied as I am with the same results. Well, about healing time I can tell you that it depends on one's personal healing time, don't forget that everyone is different. I was told that the recovery time of the surgery is about 4 to 6 months! I know it seems very much but you will feel much better after that! I also heard that there are some people who are having their recovery times a little bit longer but I hope you won't be one of them. About the pain... Well, I haven't heard of any surgery that doesn't leads to pain afterwards so obviously you're going to have some as everyone else. I think that the pain level is about the same for everyone, it depends on how you endure it (I guess) so if I could make thru it I think you're going to do the same. Let me tell you what you should expect (as it was for me): When the stitches will be removed you're going into a plastic splint for about 2 months and after it is removed you're going to need physiotherapy regularly were you're going to learn what you need to do to get your thumb, hand and wrist to work back at a normal basis. About prices I can't really tell you because I had it long time ago and I have heard that now this surgery is more expensive than it was back then. I hope that I answered your questions and you found out everything you needed. Good luck with the surgery and you can write some updates if you want...

By the way I'm in Denver.

Parepher

Hey people, I have had this basal joint arthroplasty surgery 5 days ago and my hand is in a wrap, from my hand to elbow, only my fingers are exposed out. The good news are that I can move my finger easily but the bad news are that if I apply any weight at all to them they hurt everything and I'm concerned how long this is going to take. It hurts my wrist, my thumb etc. and I can't go like that for very long time because I need my hand in my work, I'm a graphic designer and I will lose my projects and then I will lose money. My doctor said that I'm going to go back to work in two weeks only if everything is going to be fine and there won't be other problems or something unpredictable. Josh how do you feel now after so much time? You got your hand full movements? I just want to know if I would be ever use mine as I did before the surgery. Will I be able to end my artwork? These two posts were somehow helpful but I'm still in need of something more so I will appreciate any insight you will give me!

TimeTim

I have had my basal joint arthroplasty exactly a month ago and to be honest I didn't expect that it is going to take so much time for the recovery. I have had somewhat a hard recovery time. The doctor did a carpul tune and I also have an incision on the top of my hand. The doctor pulled out my stitches 2 days ago and it was painful, especially I felt pain on my palm. He put a splint with a wrap for some weeks then a cast, but I had it removed few days ago because it was very uncomfortable on the incisions. Even though I can move my fingers well enough and even the end of my thumb, I still have the palm incision and I wonder how much time it is going to be like that. I'm 49 years old man and everything seems fine but this and I was really scared when I looked at my hand about a week post operation. I'm now trying to search if any one else ever had this problem with the palm incision. I thought I would be fine by this moment but it seems that I'm far away from feeling normal. I hope everything is going to get better soon and those who didn't have any problems you can consider yourself a lucky one.

emiEmily

Thanks everyone for your post, you have really encouraged me! I had my surgery 5 days ago and I was really frustrated because the surgery itself went OK but I was feeling worse and worse since then. Now I’ve read your comments and I’m feeling a little bit better. I hope for a quick recovery and I will do everything necessary for this! I know that exercises will boost this up but I just need pain killer meds otherwise I’m feeling miserable. In few days I’m gonna see my doctor and hope for good results. I really hope for that! I will write back to let you know how everything goes.

Prow

To be honest with you I really don’t know why I came here and generally why I have decided to write this post, anyway, here I am doing it (without any ideas why). So, I am having this surgery scheduled in 2 weeks, I am having it scheduled for 10th of november. Of course, by that time I wanted to know more about it and how risky it is and people’s experiences before and after it.

I have read over the internet that there are a lot of people dealing with frustration as well as discomfort regarding with this surgery and I also saw that it requires a very long time for a full recovery, which, all of this, doesn’t make me happy at all. anyway, in this moment, the most important stuff what I want to know is only in how bad condition was your thumb when you realized that you should have this procedure? I mean, was it something that came into your mind right away? Or it was something that you have been suffering from for much time and only after that you decided that you need to have it??

I’m a 65 years old male, I’m a landscaper and I am practicing a healthy life style since I was in my 20’s which is why I can say that I am eventually in a pretty good health (especially for my years and comparing to other people my age). It seems to me that I’m mostly wearing out the joint generally. Both of my thumbs are in a very bad condition, however my left thumb is in a better condition than the right one, I can feel that the right is worse. Last year I have planned to do this procedure approximately the same time (I remember that I was ready doing it in October), however, I wiped out my right shoulder soon before I was planning it and that’s why I had to tend to that more. this is the reason why this procedure has been delayed with one year now (in fact, a bit more), anyway, I have actually got by much better than I thought that I would do.
I am working approximately 20 hours in a week, I am maintaining a very beautiful garden around our house (my wife helps me a little but mainly, everything is on me), I am also having 19 chickens which I am also responsible of, plus I am doing my own cooking most of the time. besides, I’m a fisherman who is fishing AT LEAST 2 days a week, mostly salmon and halibut. Living in Washington and having an active as well as very healthy life style.

Anyway, both of my thumbs are bothering me a lot, however, the right thumb is bother even more than the left one, I can feel that it is in a much worse condition. This is the reason why I am now planning to have the procedure done on my right thumb this year (on 10th November) and the left thumb next year (I guess, also around the same time). I can’t do both of them otherwise I would be completely functionless, but I need to work in order to pay my bills, I want to fish and I don’t want to be a helpless old man. Moreover… social sec it is not enough to get me by now and that is why I am now trying to do my best about it. I do have a lot of pains as well as a big lack of strength occasionally and obviously this is something I need to fix, however, this doesn’t stop me, I am able to do whatever I need to do and I don’t even need help for that. when you are at this age, you are learning how to “work arounds”. Therefore, due to the fact that my thumbs have actually been holding up with me a lot more better than I was thinking that they would hold, I’m now thinking that maybe it would be somehow better to continue off like that until these thumbs won’t cause me even more problems (and that’s especially after everything that I have read here). I need to mention here that I am not having any constant pains or something like that, I can feel them worse only at times, plus I am not taking any kinds of pain killers (I believe that they should be taken only in exceptional situations). I am constantly working, I am frequently fishing, I take care of my garden the whole year around this is the reason why I really don’t want to be forced to have this surgery anytime in spring, in summer or in fall because I’m the busiest then (I guess as everybody else).

Having all that said, I would really be thankful if somebody would tell me how bad your thumbs were before you have had your surgery??? Have you had constant pains?? Were the intolerable?? How can you described them? this might help me a lot.