More than 12 hours of sleep a day

GoTime

Hello people, I need some advices so if someone could help me please do not hesitate. I don't know for sure but I think I have sleep apnea. I went to my doctor for a consultation and he said that I need to check it out, but when I found out the prices for it I understood that I will be thankful for a simply forum consultation as it's really expensive and I cannot afford it and I don't have insurance. I was wondering if someone out here ever had this before so he or she could help me with an advice. Well, my problem is that I can easily sleep more than 12 hours a day and of course, even more. Alarm clock isn't a problem for me at all, I just can't hear it when I sleep and whenever someone try to wake me up I have a truly difficult time waking up and getting out of the bed. I can feel rested only few hours after I wake up, barely 6 hours and then I start feeling really and really exhausted like I worked out non stop during those hours, even though I do nothing tedious. This isn't a normal life, it gets too far already. I don't know what is causing this or what I have this. I don't have stress, I'm not in depression, but it's rather frustrating how much time I spend sleeping, I just lose those hours, days and years in my life. For example: Yesterday, as usual, I had 12 hours of sleep, I woke up and I worked a little more than 6 hours and then couldn't resist so I took a nap of 2 hours. I woke up again and worked for another 2 hours and again I was exhausted so I needed to take another nap before going to sleep for another 12 hours. It's like I took a nap before going to sleep, this seems unnatural. My parents don't want to accept the fact that I'm probably having sleep apnea so they have a lot of other suggestions. First and in my opinion most stupid is that some people need more hours to sleep than hours, I totally agree this statement, but 12 hours of sleep a day with naps, it's getting too far. I also have hay fever and they say that this could exhaust my body so much. I agree with this statement too, it could exhaust my body, but why I easily sleep the same hours during winter when there isn't any hay fever? I really want to get rid of this problem and to have a normal, fully life. Can someone give me at least a hint how and what I need to do to fix this up? If someone ever had it and treated it I beg you to write your story. I really need your help people!!

MBernic

Hello there,

First I thought that you are doing too much and you have extreme exhaustion due to hard work and your body simply needs a long rest (in days or even months), but then I read that you're having this for months already and you are not doing anything tedious so I came up with something else for you. Well, in my opinion you do not have sleep apnea because it has other symptoms such as cutting off your breath, the air doesn't fully get in your lungs and therefore you snore. Since you didn't mention that you snore (because you really do when you have it) I assume that you don't have it (however I would recommend to check it at a doctor's lab). What I do believe that you have it is lack of vitamins or too many toxins in your body. Both of them are causing you to oversleep. Maybe you've got a new diet and you reduced at all foods which produces energy for human body? If you don't have sufficient glucose and sugars in your body then you're very likely to have the problem you're having. Or maybe because of the lack of vitamins the glucose and sugars from the body aren't released into the bloodstream and then your body won't be able to utilize the energy it needs.

My recommendations: try to eat more energy - producing foods and more foods which contains vitamins (or you can buy vitamins from a local pharmacy). If you have many toxins in your body you have to drink something really similar to tea. Hot water with fresh lemon in it. You can try all of them together and see if something is changing in your sleeping habits.

I hope that something is going to help you! Good luck and be healthy!

mazidontever

hello, i was browsing the internet and i accidentaly found your post about getting more than 12 hours of sleep a day and i got really interested. well i need to start with the fact that i'm having the same symptoms that you posted up there: i have started to sleep 12-13 hours at night and fall asleep during the day long time ago.

i know (and i assume that you also know) that if you're looking in medical journals and the internet into sleep disorders your symptoms or better to say our symtoms don't quite come into any classiffication. i really don't have any idea where we need to search to found something or to have a certain diagnose. i'm personally very frustrated when it comes to explain this to others, i think that you're not happy too. they are always thinking that i am lazy or depressed and it is just me who doesn't want to get up of bed, like i'm happy to sleep all the time and to see how i'm losing my life pointless.it is awful. i also thought about sleep apnea but i'm almost sure that here is something else. moreover the person from above said the same thing.

when the doctors were sick of me because i was "disturbing" them weekly with the same question they finally came with a "diagnose" for me. of course they haven't got any diagnose for me, they just said that only to receive stimulant medication and to get rid of me. stimulant medication helps me a little bit, but this isn't a solution for us, that is why i'm trying to do the research further. no one is helping us so we have to help us alone.

peaceful

Yes, yes, yes, you're right! Humans don't normally sleep for 12 and more hours during a day so something is really wrong with your sleep pattern! I know that in average normally it is about 8 to 9 hours of sleep a day, it depends: teenagers about 9 hours but adults 8. Only babies need more than 12 hours of sleep a day and older people less than 8. This is how human being are made. Even though there are slightly differences from person to person your sleep pattern isn't normal. I have done some reasearch about this because I have had this problem for years and I have been tested for sleep apnea few times and every time they said that I don't have it but I really do snore and talk in my sleep. They have also gave me some pills which doesn't work that much. You seem to have the very same problem because it sounds like working a little bit is really exhausting your body, this may be due to over sleeping because it makes a human body very tired. This can be due to stress. In the end I have tried a product called "melatonin" and I could not believe it but it works for me. I take 2 or 3 pills a day and I am having a good rest and I'm awake the whole next day! I suggest you to try it and hope it is going to help you as it helped me. I also suggest you to try to cut out the napping time part and to keep yourself busy with something. I assume that it is going to lower your sleeping time and you're going to have a wonderful life back again

Keytho

I have had the same issue as you have but I treated it. I also thought that I am having sleep apnea because I was snoring very loud but it seems that it runs in our family because other members also do it. I’ve researched a little bit and then I was invited for an overnight sleep study as well as for a nap study during the day where some scientists could monitor the whole process. They found out that I am having narcolepsy. In order to treat it, I had to take Dexedrine and it works! Since that that I am taking them, this was a little less than one year ago. Lately, I have noticed that they are losing their potency,  however, I am skipping one day per week and this seems to help. Now I am fine. Whoever has this problem should really talk to a doctor who can monitor your sleep (sleep study) and then you can find out what is your problem. as I did.