Parkinson disease, help

Khan

Now I’m feeling soooo depressed that I can’t even explain and I really need some support. The problem is that my dad was diagnosed with parkison disease more than one year ago and I was always worried about this but I have never expexted that this will become such a bad thing for him and that it will change all his entire life so hard.

The problem is that I started to observed that he started to change, he always was a very strong and charismatic person but since he found out that he is diagnosed with Parkinson disease everything changed a lot. He became a very depressed and tired person, all the time I observe that he has less and less energy as well as less happiness, plus he always says that he has no more reasons to live.

My mom died when I was little, and now that he found out that he has such a thing he started to think about suicide and this worries me very hard. The worst thing in all my story is that our doctor seem not to carry at all about his situation, I have talked with him so many times and I have told him that the situation is getting worse and that we have to do something. All the drugs that our doctor prescribed to him didn’t worked and generally some of them developed some strange symptoms to my dad. After he started to use one of his drugs he started to have big problems while walking, it also developed insomnia and sometimes he starts to forget elementary things. The only thing that helps him to go ahead is drinking 3-4 pints a day. I know and I understand very well that this is not a good idea, and that it will be better to avoid such a thing but I’m really sorry about him, and when he drinks his pints it seems like he feels better and he can even smile. This is very precious to me and I don’t know what to do in this situation, to prohibit drinking during the day or to let him to the thing that he considers is better to do.

The situation with his doctor as I told you is really a bad one. I don’t know why do he isn’t interested in my dad condition, maybe he thinks that there is nothing to do in order to help, but at least I think that he can do something to elevate the symptoms and the problems that he started to develop recently, whatever the reason is, I’m so frustrated that he’s so ignorant.

I would like to find out what actions I can do in order help him, I don’t know at least a thing about this.. I feel sorry about the fact that I can’t do anything… I would like to try to do at least something that I’m able to do. please help me, those who know how to behave in this situation, help me at least with some advices. Thank you very much.

anaesa

hey, I’m 39 years old and my dad is in the same situation.. I’m really sorry that you have to pass over such problems. My dad have this disease since I was 20 years old, and when I found this I was so disappointed and so scared as you are now, you need some social help and I think that you have to ask one. It’s really hard to live with a person that has something like this. I really would like to say something hopeful but it’s really hard. Your support is the only thing that you can offer to your dad. The situation will become easier after some years, you’ll get used with his conditions and you’ll understand that the disease started to progress intensively. You have to be patient and to understand that there will be a lot of strange things that you’ll observe but it’s normal for his condition. Don’t worry about the symptoms, some of them appears because of the disease and not because of the drugs. I have passed thought this and I know that it’s hard to stay and to do nothing for him, but this is really a situation when the only thing that you can share with him is your support and love. Don’t be scared or worried about all the things that will happen with him, just try to pass over this with serenity. I suggest you to find out a psychologist, ask your family doctor to provide one to you for free. It’s really important to talk with a psychologist in this period at least at the beginning; it will help you to pass easier over this. Stay strong and if you have any other questions I’ll be happy to help you!

Khan

thank you very much for your reply and I think that you’re right about psychologist, I thought about this many times and I think that I’ll do this thing.

you’re right it’s really hard to live with such a person, and the worst thing is to understand that you can’t do anything for him.

I still hope that at least his walking will improve. I’ll try to support him anyway and I’ll try to talk with him about all the things that he would like to.

Sairt2014

this is so hard… and I’m so sorry about this situation. I don’t know if the symptoms that your dad has are because of the drugs or because of the disease, my mother have had a lot of symptoms and I wasn’t able to understand what they are affected by. Anyway I think it’s not a good idea to let him drink during the day, just think that even if he thinks it helps him it can aggravate his situation. Usually in order to help my mother when she felt bad and when she have had a lot of negative thoughts such as suicide I always tried to tell her interesting positive stories, she was able to concentrate on those stories and to forget about her disease. It’s a good idea to support him, and keep it calm; it’s not your fault that he is passing through this thing. You can search in internet for more information and you can also find some support there, don’t worry everything will be okay. Good luck, and I hope that there would be somebody else near you who can help because even though we try to help and to support you, it’s not even near the same help and support as it would give it to you a closer person morally as well as physically.