polio can be hereditary?

HeyAnya

I’m still wondering about the polio effects even though I’ve tried to search some info about it… I would like to find out whether there are some side effects on a baby from a mother that is suffering from polio or no. Not so long ago I remembered my father and his mother and I’m a little bit scared about the situation with polio. The thing is that my grandmother (my father’s mom) has had polio since she was a little kid, I remember her and I remember that I was so scared and I was afraid to look at her. My mom told me that when she was pregnant with my father, she didn’t knew if there would be some problems with the baby and she was scared that maybe something could happen to him. Anyway my father was born normal and during all his childhood and teenage time he was okay, but when he was 27 years old he started to have some strange issues with his muscles. My mom told me that they didn’t know what it was and if it could be linked with polio disease or with something else. He lived like this the rest of his life and after this, in the end… he died. I don’t remember my father so much, because I was a little kid and of course I didn’t knew about all his issues. Anyway, now I’m wondering if it could be linked with my grandmother’s polio and I’m a little bit worried not to have problems with my baby as well. My husband and I, we are trying to have a baby, and when my doctor asked me about all the diseases that may be running in my family and what my family has passed through I remembered today my grandma’s polio and my father’s muscle disease. I would like to protect my future baby and I’m very afraid that all this can be connected with one another. Please, tell me more about this, can it be hereditary or not? tell me everything you know about it. I will be very thankful!

Ella Haleee9090

I don’t want to tell that there aren’t chances to have such a thing. My father has had polio and has had big problems with it during all his life, he have had 3 kids (which… I’m one of them, of course) so I didn’t heredity this and none of my brothers. Anyway my mom told me that when she was talking with her doctor about my father’s disease, he told her that it is possible this to happen, there are some chances, plus or minus, but it’s quite impossible because relatively they are very low.  Anyway I have kids too and all of them are okay, I don’t think you have to worry about this, talk about this with your doctor and tell him the story of your grandma and your father. Let him know everything and maybe in the end he would know better what to do.

Bedeencion1980

hello girl, I think that you don’t have to worry about this, I know for sure that actually a baby can take a polio if the mother have it during the pregnancy period but there aren’t so many chances. Another thing that it’s quite impossible is to have it from the father and think that taking this from grandma is more unlikely than having polio from your father. Usually polio is not one of the diseases that can be transmitted to kids, I would be better searching if there are not other diseases rather than being worried about this one. You can do some tests before having a baby and this way you will be sure what will happen to your kid. So, as a conclusion I can say that you can stay calm and that everything will be okay, don’t worry.