Pressure airplane

HardyHard

Hi everyone, I didn’t know where else to post this so I decided that a forum like this is my best option. So two days ago I took a plane to get home and while I was relaxed there looking out of the window suddenly, out of nowhere, I got a really intense pain in my temple and behind only my right eye. This pain only lasted about 10 minutes and then it disappeared but those 10 minutes were like hell on the earth, or on that plane. I really can’t understand what that was. I felt like something is pressing in the side of my head, a really big pressure. It was so bad that my eyes started to cry, it really was very painful. After that, when I got home already and before going to bed at night I felt a similar dull ache in the exact same areas that I had in the plane and it keeps coming and going until now and it hasn’t really gone away definitely. I am taking pain killers such as Tylenol but the pain goes away for some minutes or maybe an hour or so usually but after that the pain is coming back and it is as painful as it was. Now I’m having big troubles with this pain like a pressure on the inside of my temple and my right eye. I’m wondering how much I’m going to suffer from this? Who else ever felt something like this before? What you have done about it? I really need some help.

stephenn44

Good day! I have had the same problem you have written up there! Airplane Air Pressure Pain, I call it as AAPP and I know how bad it can be. Even though it could not be a serious problem (as in my case) but I need to advise you to go and visit a physician doctor to get checked. Anyway here is what my physician told me to try when I first told him about my problem: I need to tighten my nose and close my mouth and then I should blow because in this way the tubes in my ears are going to open and this is releasing the pressure and the pain. This helped me but after that I found that I can take antihistamine nasal spray few minutes before my flight and few minutes before landing. This is also keeping my sinus and eustation tubes open and this is minimizing the pressure in the sinus passages. I’m sure that at least one of these recommendations I gave you should work! For me it also was a problem when it came to airplanes, flights and so on. If you’re going to leave that in the way it is you risk having this pain again so do as I said but before this visit the doctor. I wish you good luck and peaceful, painless flights! Take care

Priper

I used to have the same problem and I know very well what you are talking about! When it came to flying I literally felt like I have a bag full of air pressed behind my right eye and it was slowing expanding and creating more and more pressure and obviously more and more pain and discomfort! I read somewhere that because of this great pressure some people died so you should be very careful with this! Of course chances are not so high but anyway, better safe than sorry. When the pain was already terrible I suddenly felt relief, suddenly the pain disappeared and nothing bothered me anymore. I did not know what is going on but I decided to go to a doctor immediately after I get home. I did so and I told him the exact same story. He suggested to do a MRI test and few others. Few days later he said that he found out what was causing my pain and discomfort. They said that my sinuses were extremely congested. The doctor then explained that the pressure I was feeling was actually a "bag" of air inside my sinus that was increasing with the change in pressure and this was responsible for that pain. He said that I suddenly felt a relief because that "bag" of air inside my sinus broke. The treatment was very easy, the doctor said what medicine should I take and it helped me. Since I take the medicine I don't have any problems with this and I'm feeling perfectly fine. If you're curious I'm taking some kind of allergy medicines and antihistamine. You won't need so much time to get back to normal again. I hope this information helps and I answered your questions. Good day.

Vordy

Yeah it happens and this is completely normal and don’t be scared. There are very much people suffering from this including me. In fact, even those who don’t suffer from it can feel some little discomfort. You just have to understand it. I went to a local pharmacy and told about my problem and I was given a nasal spray which helps perfectly (as the previous poster mentioned). I also had pains each time I fly but this stopped once I was using the nasal spray. It says that it should last 12 hours and IMO it really does but just in case I’m using it twice, one time before I’m getting on the plane and the second time before I descend. Technically that’s a liquid so you might have problems with security (as I had the first time when I was trying to get with that tube on the board) so my recommendation for you is to pack it in a ziploc bag and you shouldn’t have problems. I hope that whoever have problems with their sinuses would reach my post because it really helps. The reason is that your sinuses cannot drain very. It can be treated by surgery but I wouldn’t recommend it. Our condition is called aerosinusitis and it is occurring because the air in our sinuses is still at the high altitude pressure. The pressure has to go somewhere and if you are having lack of sinus drainage, excess mucous or other conditions then the air has some problems escaping fast enough so the pains occur. Try to imagine a lot of pressure tries to escape through a tiny opening. When it’s forced there the pains occur. This can explain any other doctor… just use the spray and you’ll be fine!