sinus surgery

xander2009

Hi, recently – four days ago – I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery and after it I felt and I still feel awful! Little by little I am recovering, but I still have huge pains. I’ve already suffered some operations until now and I thought that’s real pain – I never have been so wrong, now it’s much worse. Almost a week already passed but I still have strange dissolvable filling inside my nose and it comes out very little day by day. I’m already sick and tired of being in pains – I cannot eat normally, I don’t have appetite and I’ve lost about seven pounds in such little time and that’s not good. I’m glad that at least the pain is disappearing slowly day by day and the healing goes on because those medications given to me for lowering pain are not working at all. I take them regularly but this acute pain stays still. Anyway, I am so happy that I get well. Moreover, because of the pain I can’t sleep normally – maximum two hours and by the why that’s why I don’t sleep right now. I have my mouth numb like I was smitten in the face. Until yesterday I couldn’t feel my nose at all, like it wasn’t there, but it was definitely better than when I feel it because it hurts like hell – the only good thing is that I can smell – FINALLY! I’ve already had a sinus surgery, but it didn’t help at all – I hope that this time it won’t be the same story. I was just wondering if someone out there already had septoplasty and turbinate reduction and how it passed for you? Did you have the same acute pains? And how much time you’ve needed for a full restore process? Hope for the best for all you and thank you for your support everyone ;)

Dodgshun

Hello, I've also had septoplasty and turbinate reduction because I found it hard to breath in and out of my nose. I'm really sorry for what you've been through, in my case it was a lot easier and with less pain. I had my operation six days ago and I'm happy I didn't found your post before the operation because I would be really scared. The way you described it it's really awful but hopefuly you're getting well. I also thought that it's going to be much worse but it doesn't. Only six days passed but I had minor to no pain at all from the surgery so I guess I'm really lucky. The doctor offered me some meds for reducing the pain but I really didn't need them. However I do take some pills for the pain but only at night. As you, I still can't breath in or out of my nose but I guess it's something normal in our situation. I didn't talked to my doctor about it. Anyway, after the surgery he said that there are needed some weeks for a full recovery. It can take almost 2 months. I just wanted to surf the internet just to know more about this septoplasty and turbinate reduction. We have to be patient and everything will be alright. Hope we will get better soon. 

Afterendis

so... i'm not as lucky as dogshun... worse part was the first 24 hours before taking out the packing having worst pain of my life! i was able to sleep just because of the pain killer the doc gave me and this sucks!!! doc said that it is going to take some weeks for a full recovery... not the best news for me... now i have to keep noise moist with saline spay. it is not near as easy as i thought it is going to be... really hard to deal with it!! dogshun, you said that you're probably lucky, well, you are very lucky... hope the pains goes away quickly, good day.

Fellnisomer44

I'm so sorry for you too people, I have read your post "xander2009" before I had my procedure and I was very scared! I thought I'm going to have something similar but in the end it seemed to be fine, like it was for "dodgshun". The pain I had in my first night was totally tolerable, it wasn't near as bad I thought it is going to be. That night I was always expecting that I'm going to suddenly feel a huge pain, however this huge pain never came, the only thing is that I couldn't sleep, the only and the worst thing what happened. I guess I'm in the "lucky" tribe too because besides "no pain" I got no excessive bleeding and no crusting. Now I am having one week after the operation and I am feeling pretty good only my nose is a little achey and runny. Also I got some painful headaches 3 days, in the 3rd, the 4th and the 5th day, but I got rid of it easily only by taking my pain killers. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the results so far, it was not as bad as I expected and thank God for this.

PandaPanda

I have noticed that most of people that replied here have been pretty close to their surgery dates (Fellnisomer44 with max. 7 days). But I had mine a little less than 2 months ago so I thought that I could post something different from them. By the way, I have also noticed that all of you have had your surgeries quite a long time ago and I’m interested if you have ever had some additional problems since then or no? so well, my surgery went pretty well and I am also one of the lucky ones since I took one vicadin the days I was due to the surgery and I have had no pains that day. Still, I did had some discomfort for a couple of days after that. Moreover, I have had stents and I could breathe a little bit however, my mouth was still dry for the first night after the surgery. Then, I had a feeling when you get a terrible cold, I mean that it is really uncomfortable but it is not painful. Also, approximately 90% of my airflow was blocked by my septum and that is why I could never breathe out of my left nostril. After 5 days post surgery, the stents were removed and I had absolutely no pain. I was doing the sinus wash two times per day. Here’s what I can tell you all: it feels soooo damn good to get that junk out! So, now, two months later I can say that I am able to breath very well out of my right side, so well that it doesn’t really matter on which side I am sleeping on. That is why, I can sincerely report that the surgery of the turbinate reduction was a helpful thing. Finally I don’t have any more problems with sleeping. Well, as I said, I can breathe very well out of my right side, all 100%, as for my left side (in the left side I had my septum deviated) it is now approximately 40% after that operation. Anyway, only due to the fact that I can breathe out of it again it is a very big improvement.

My doctor was pleased with the effects but he said that we can still improve it so he recommended to use Nasonex only on that side (as the other one is perfectly fine) and after I have done it, my left side improved up to approximately 85% which seems perfect! I am now happy to say that it is definitely worth to have the surgery, I am a lot better now than I used to be. I live in California and doctors here are really doing their job! The doc who took care of me told me something: if it happens that the deviated part is still causing problems after the turbinate reduction surgery, I can try Nasonex anytime (I already told you that I’ve tried it and it works wonders for me). or, there’s another option: I can have the steroid injections and it would last for approximately half a year. As for me, I am fine with Nasonex. He also said that there would always be one dominant side which means that there would never be an exactly 50/50. Hope this helps.