Too much sugar can cause diabetes?

Alexander7

Hi, I’m going to be extremely thankful to whoever is going to tell me something. I was always interested whether eating too much sugar can cause diabetes or no. Not so long ago I started to talk with one of my friends about this thing. I was sure about the fact that too much sugar can cause diabetes but I think that this is depending from what kind of food you eat, what kind of sugar, its quantity and so on. I consider that in case you are eating just fruits that have the fructose it won’t cause you something like this and chances that you’re going to have diabetes are very low. My friend tried to convince me that it doesn’t matter what kind of food do you eat, if your sugar level is too high then you can absolutely develop this issue. What do you think? I would like to know more information and I would like to find out who is right in this situation. I’m not trying to find out about this only to tell my friend “see, I won”, this would also help me in future. Thank you a lot.

Tplus

First of all I can say that it’s a good thing that you decided to write here and that you are interested in such a thing, it is also a good thing that you want to find out about this not only to prove your friend something but because this info might save you from getting diabetes, I appreciate people who aren’t ignorant. The second thing is that you can find a lot of myths about this thing in internet. I would like to provide you some basical information about this in order to make you and your friend understand what is the biggest mistake. I’m sorry but you’re both wrong. First of all diabetes is not caused just because you eat too much sugar, you can have diabetes because you don’t eat the right food, and in this case you are more right than your friend. The other thing you have to understand that there are different types of diabetes and that can appear by different situations. In some cases is something that was developed by itself and can happen even if it’s a teenager or just a kid, it’s like a body reaction to sugar and some problems with insulin. The second thing is that what you asked about. The diabetes that can appear because of an eating disorder or a wrong eating habit. Usually in this type of diabetes are included those people that are obese, and when we speak about this type of people we can’t say that sugar is the only indicator that influenced the envelopment of the disease. In fact eating bag fats and eating always fast food can create the same thing. Have you ever asked yourself why do fat people can’t donate blood? They are obese and they are very likely to have diabetes, they are have a high risk of suffering from diabetes in near future even though, they don’t suffer from it currently. Even if an obese person is feeling ok and healthy no body would want to risk. 

That’s why you and your friend have to understand that sugar is not the only thing that influences the development of the disease. Once a person is eating for a very long time food with a high consistence of fat (bad fat) and if he is becoming obese this can be a risk for his health because it can provide in future diabetes, because the insulin resistance is increased in the presence of fat.

Diabetes can be developed also if you have some pancreatic problems, you can have a good diet all your entire life but if there is something wrong with your pancreas, like for example because you consumed too much drugs that influenced your pancreas or you’re a person that was born with pancreas issues, then in this case this have nothing to do with the amount of sugar that you consumed, it’s just a toxic reaction that some cells received while that person consumed some drugs and this reaction increased the sugar consistence in his blood therefore - diabetes. The only way through what you can cause yourself a diabetes development is to increase the intake of fat, sugar, to increase the caloric intake and to eat unhealthy food. What I mean by unhealthy food? It’s not just fast food, pizza and sodas, unhealthy food is everything that is linked with refined carbohydrates, refined sugar that nowadays you can find everywhere and bad fat. Don’t forget that the only thing today that doesn’t have sugar is water, and if you eat a big amount of pasta or bread it doesn’t matter that you don’t have chances to have diabetes.

The only thing to do is to have a good balanced diet and to eat more homemade food, that is rich in vegetables, fruits and good fats (omega 3).

franab

it’s hard to explain it in way to make you understand that you’re both right and you’re both wrong. I agree with the user above about the examples. There are different cases and different situations, but I would like to answer to your question without adding some additional information, because I think that if I would do it then you would be confused. You’re right in about the fact that it matters what kind of food do you eat, and you’re right that sugar that you can find in fruits can’t develop you diabetes. Actually the only sugar that develops the diabetes is the refined one. This is that sugar that you find in processed foods and this that sugar that you use in your tea or in your coffee. But your friend is right too, sometimes you think that you eat okay and you have a good diet plan but you can find out that you have this issue, this can happen, absolutely it can, this is because there is something wrong in your organism, usually doctors explains that in this case some bodies just can’t accept the sugar and can’t process it in order to provide your body with sugar, that’s why these people need to use insulin. Even if you can’t eat sugar and even if your body can’t process it, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t need it. I think you know very well that our brain needs sugar and our organs too, that’s why in this cases, when someone is not tolerant to sugar he need insulin to plug the hole and to provide to his body all the things that it needs. Our body needs a variety of substances and if it cannot accept/process or we don’t provide him with all necessities then we’re developing issues and health problems. and it is enough for our body to feel sick only if it has lack only of one substance/mineral/vitamin etc. There are a lot of interesting things that you can find, but I tried to focus on your question and to explain what was wrong and what was right. That’s why I consider that you are both right and both wrong at the same time. There are many different cases and when a person develops this disease you don’t have to think that this was just because of sugar. I hope this information helped you somehow and I wish you to stay healthy, both of you.