Very bad smelling gas - a real problem!

Hationge

I don't know if someone can understand me, but I have a very bad smelling gas! It's not simply frustrating having it - it's something more! It is a REAL problem hard to deal and unknown how to treat! It all started not so long ago when I lost a lot of weight in a trip I had in Europe. After this I found out I have irritable bowel syndrome or it could be something similar. I am having this really bad smelling gas almost constantly and it's even worse than you can imagine having it. Probably you have a vague idea how bad is to feel in public and what other people might talk about you. The bad part of this is that I don't know how to escape from this! I've tried a fruit diet avoiding gas production foods like eggs and nothing seems to help. I do have the same awful and constant smelling gas my bowel is releasing. If someone already had it and treated it please let me know how you've done that!!! I am desperate and I am already going nuts!

whooh

I know exactly how you're feeling and I know in what horrible situations you can find yourself due to this bad smelling gas! I've had this horrible smelling gas for good months and it was so bad that my husband could not sleep with me. There was a time when I was depressed because of it! So I went to a GI doctor who found out that it is caused from a bad bacteria! I think you have that too! It doesn't matter what you eat, because of the bacteria you'll always have it until you treat it! I've had allergy for dairy called IBS for years and I didn't know. So my good doctor said I should take a medication called xixifan (or don't remember quite well its name). I hope that it's going to work for you as it worked for me because my bad smelling gas went away! I recommend it to you and to anyone who has this kind of problem! (Note that this medication is quite expensive but definitely it's worth it). The doctor also said about probiotics as they help to get rid of that bacteria. Further I guess you just need to try to avoid carbs and everything is going to be alright! I hope that my information will help you as it helped me! Good luck

MBernic

Hello everyone, I hope that I will help you out.

Well, gas is produced in intestines and in a human's stomach when food is made into energy for body. It is normal to have gases, all people have them, but there are two types of gases: gas formed after eating vegetables and fruits and gas formed after eating eggs and meat. Usually gas derived from fruits and vegetables do not have an odor, but those formed after eating eggs and meat... well I guess everyone knows. Why is that? Because the bad odor is caused by small traces of gases such as hydrogen sulfide, methane and ammonia which eggs and meat contains. Causes of gas can be a medical condition (bowel disease), foods and beverage and the amount of gas produced varies from person to person, nutritional supplements or medicines also can be a gas cause as a side effect of it, changes in hormones levels are common for women to have bloating (usually before their period), and finally can be even swallowed air which is not burped, swallowed air is going thru digestive tract and it's causing gas.

How can you treat or prevent gas? I strongly recommend you to change your drinking and eating habits. Sometimes gas can be a medical condition and it requires a professional treatment. Well, there are dietary supplements called "beano" it may prevent you from having gases. Also there are people saying that a product which contains simethicone is helping them with gas problems. Simethicone is a medication that dissolves gas bubbles. I don't want to make commercial advertisement here but I've read on the internet people's feedback about medications with simethicone that helped them called Mylicon and Gas X.

Products that you might exclude from your diet due to their classification of "gas-producing foods" are: eggs, wheat, fried or fatty foods, sugar, milk and any other dairy product, packaged foods that contain lactose, beans and even some fruits and vegetables such as (fruits) bananas, melons, prunes, pears, apricots (vegetables) broccoli, onions, peas, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage. Drinks: beer, red wine and carbonated drinks (and drinks made of fruits mentioned above).

I sincerely hope that at least something here is going to help everyone with the gas problems. Good luck everyone and be healthy!

weewoo

Hationge I've had the same problem as you, but I think it was even worse than yours because my problem not only had the horrible odor but they were loud and I couldn't even feel them coming on. Can you imagine? It was a horrible time for me, I could have these loud and horrible smelling attack suddenly without me knowing if they are going to come. I'm not sure if you can understand how embarrassing it is. I can give you an example: one day when I was working my colleagues and I were having a dinner and everybody was joking and having a great time. I was feeling very good until that moment when we all laughed and I farted so loud, well, I can't find words to describe how I felt then. Good for me that these people are friendly and they just ignored this, however it's still a very and very bad feeling. I couldn't have a great time anymore after that so within 15 minutes I said that I have to go, well, I think they understood why. I was getting depressed because I was avoiding people just in case if something like this is going to happen again. Honestly and unfortunately I'm pretty overweight so I tried this new diet "Atkins". Being on this diet for a while my bad smelling gas stopped completely and I'm very happy now, however if I cheat on the diet and sneak carbs it is coming back. Whenever I'm cheating on the diet I'm back to farting and loose stools... So I recommend you to try staying away from carbs and see if that is also helping you, maybe this is your problem as well as mine. I'm not saying that this is going to help you for sure, but I guess it is worth a try. Good luck.

FlynnFly

Hello whooh, how are you doing? I wanted to say that I'm also suffering from IBS for many years now and lately it has gotten only worse and I'm very concerned about this. I'm 23 years old and I it seems that problems keep surrounding me everywhere. I am suffering from lactose and from gluten intolerance so I'm left with a very small variety of food to eat. I cannot eat a lot of things: dairy products, vegetables that are gas producing foods and carbohydrates, also meats and fish are triggering my colon so because of this I'm running out of options. I also cannot drink some things: fruit juices and coffee. I had to give up on coffee even though I used to love it but it seems that this is in the past. I cannot have a normal life, I cannot go to a restaurant and eat something tasty, I have to reject everyone who tries to serve me with something, I have to look and keep only dreaming about a normal food. I can feel that my metabolism has gotten worse because I cannot eat something else than some vegetables and another small variety of foods. I'm tired of carrying the medicines with me to take immediately when the pain starts attacking. As if this wasn't enough I'm also suffering from the bad smelling gas and I'm concerned what else should I expect next and what I need to do in order to be normal back again.

Beither1980

Hey people, I hope this helps someone. Well, I found out that I am a lactose intolerant and it doesn’t matter what I eat made from milk I have a really foul smelling gas. In the beginning I didn’t knew why I have it but it was horrible and it was happening frequently. Now I cannot eat anything, even yogurt that I love so much. I have been told that my problem started those days when I started to eat yogurts every single day. Sometime later I’ve decided to go to a doctor and ask what is all that. When I’ve told her everything she said that there’s nothing wrong with me and that the reason is simple: I’m getting old. I knew that she’s wrong. I was feeling it. I went to another private doctor and told him my problems and he replied that it sound like a lactose intolerance. He recommended stopping eating milk products and seeing the results. I stopped and since then I don’t have any more problems with bad smelling gas. Now I try to avoid everything what’s made from milk but whenever I do eat something I use lactase enzyme. Whenever I go to buy something I have to read everything and all labels and I shouldn’t eat processed foods. Too bad that I have these problems but… By the way, since I found out about my problems and I read more and more I found out that there are foods that normally shouldn’t contain milk but they actually do so be aware. Good luck