Mellaril (thioridazine) Coupons, Discounts & Cost
Mellaril (thioridazine) is a neuroleptic agent. One way to save money on the Mellaril retail cost regardless of income and insurance status is to use Mellaril coupons or discount cards from RXCoupons. Use this Thioridazine coupon at this online pharmacy and receive up to 75% off the sale price.
Mellaril (thioridazine) is a neuroleptic agent with tranquilizing, antipsychotic, antidepressant, antiemetic and antipruritic effect. Antipsychotic effect is combined with antiemetic and sedative effects (the drug does not cause lethargy and emotional indifference). The drug is effective for mental and emotional disorders accompanied by fear, excitement. Mellaril does not cause extrapyramidal disorders and sleepiness (when used at therapeutic doses).
The following disorders can be treated with Mellaril:
- Acute schizophrenic syndromes;
- Chronic schizophrenia;
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder;
- Endogenous depression;
- Neuroses accompanied by stress and anxiety;
- Withdrawal syndrome in chronic alcoholism and drug abuse.
What are the precautions when taking this medicine?
Absolute contraindications: traumatic brain injury, diseases of the brain and spinal cord, porphyria, pheochromocytoma, certain diseases of the blood, severe hypotension, severe heart failure, comatose patients, children under 4 years of age, pregnancy and lactation, hypersensitivity to any component of the drug.
Relative contraindications: epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, Reye's syndrome, myxedema; diseases accompanied by high risk of thromboembolic complications, chronic diseases accompanied by respiratory disorders (especially in children), cachexia, peptic ulcer, angle-closure glaucoma, liver or kidney failure, prostatic hyperplasia, mammary cancer; alcoholism, older age groups.
What is the best way to take this drug?
The average therapeutic dose for adults:
- Acute psychosis, mania, schizophrenia, agitation: initial daily dose - 25-75 mg, which can be gradually increased until the optimal therapeutic dose (150-400 mg). One will feel the effect within 10-14 days. Treatment usually lasts several weeks. Maintenance daily dose - 75-200 mg 1 time a day (at night). As for elderly patients, they usually use lower doses - 30-100 mg per day.
- Emotional disturbance: mild - 30-75 mg per day, moderate - 50-200 mg per day. Begin treatment with low doses and gradually increase until the optimal therapeutic dose.
- Psychosomatic disorders: 10-75 mg per day.
- Severe itching: up to 200 mg per day. The dose is determined by the doctor for each patient individually (depending on the clinical situation).
The recommended dose for children:
- 15-18 years - 30-50 mg 3 times a day.
- 8-14 years - 20-30 mg 3 times a day.
- 4-7 years - 10-20 mg 2-3 times a day.
What are some side effects of Mellaril?
Allergic reactions: nasal congestion, rash, erythema, exfoliative dermatitis, bronchospastic syndrome, angioedema.
Digestive system: nausea, increased appetite, weight gain, diarrhea, anorexia, intestinal obstruction, vomiting; rarely - cholestatic hepatitis.
Reproductive system: false positive pregnancy test results, dysmenorrhea, gynecomastia, hyperprolactinemia, abnormal ejaculation, priapism, decreased libido.
Urinary system: dysuria, ischuria.
Cardiovascular system: tachycardia, hypotension.
Central nervous system: Parkinson's disease, insomnia, excitation, agitation, thermoregulatory disorders, emotional disorders, photophobia, visual disturbances, tardive dyskinesia, extrapyramidal disorders.
Hematopoietic system: in rare cases - eosinophilia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, granulocytopenia, pancytopenia.
Other reactions: (long-term use at high doses) - melasma.
Special instructions for this drug
Patients should refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages during the treatment period.
Thioridazine should not be used with adrenaline and anesthetics, guanethidine, reserpine. It enhances the effect of hypnotics, analgesics, narcotics and alcohol. The drug weakens the effect of levodopa and amphetamine. Amitriptyline and antihistamines increase the anticholinergic activity of the drug. Antidiabetic agents increase the chance of liver damage.
Mellaril storage conditions
Store out of reach of children, in a dry place protected from light, at temperatures up to 25° C.